bird lice/mites...and dogs??

Quote:
Yes, dogs can get mange mites (and other mites that infest mammals), but the mites that BIRDS get are not the same, and have no interest in mammals.

There ARE parasites that will infest both dogs and chickens: chiggers, ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, etc.

Since the OP's DOG is the one with problems, looking at dog culprits makes far more sense. It could be anything from an allergic reaction to external parasites that infest dogs. My recommendation is to schedule a vet visit. Alternatively, get a good dog flea/tick shampoo and see if that helps. Follow with a non-allergenic skin conditioner containing hydrocortizone or oatmeal or similar skin soothing ingredients.

And DE will NOT stop an infestation or pests. It is good at drying things up.

x2

One other thought. food allergies can cause small itchy red bumps (essentially a rash) on the belly, near the anus and on other areas. The most common food allergies for dogs are corn and beef (yes, that is correct, beef!). I have read that terriors are especially prone to food allergies. Our JRT has can only eat certain things or she becomes miserably scratchy and rashy. A fish and sweet potato diet is usually the first step towards an allergy free diet. Used to be the only alergen free diets required a prescription, but there are now a lot of higher end dog foods that are free of common allergens.

Actually, dogs and humans can and DO get chicken mites. Even though Chicken Mites are species specific they can live away from their host anywhere from one week to several months depending on the type of bird mites. Our dog kennel is right next to the chicken coop and now 4 out of 5 of our dogs have contracted Chicken Mites.

I'm also a show dog breeder/exhibitor & earned my animal hygenist certification years ago.

Had a yorkie ***** that was allergic to flea bites. What a nightmare! But she was on Frontline+ every 2 months. Didn't matter, one bite would get her crazy scratching.

When I had a bunch of danes & her, it became more thrifty to use Ivermectin instead of buying HeartGuard or the like. Helped a BUNCH!

Also, when she had her acute reactions, I bathed her 2x/week with coal tar shampoo. IMO, it is the best to soothe erupted skin. Never found anything better & had access to all hypo shampoos & remedies.

Back
Top Bottom