Bit by something cleaning the coop! HELP!

Newchickiemamma

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2018
74293452-31CD-435C-80CA-AEAAEB481810.jpeg
hello! I was cleaning the coop yesterday and as I was walking up my yard after being in the coop I felt something behind my ear, so I quick swatted it. I looked at my hand and it was filled with blood. I was bleeding. I quickly looked in my mirror and there was a small hole in my skin that was bleeding and blood smeared across my neck and chin area. It took some time for this to stop bleeding. I somewhat forgot about it until I woke up this morning to find a huge welt. Almost like a mosquito bite but it has a tingling sensation. I was extremely tired and lethargic today and my throat is a little sore on the side of the bite. My ear is also starting to get sore on the inside. I found a poultry tick on one of my chickens a few days prior and one of my chickens has stick tight fleas which is what lead to this clean out. I posted a picture of the bite. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

A leech?! I don’t live near water... I live in northeastern PA (poconos area). My property layout is 1.5 acres that backs up to a Christmas tree farm. I have 3 maple trees, 1 near the coop. And the coop is about 10 yards from the Christmas trees. Do you really think I have leeches here??

Bottom line is it sounds like you will survive, I also would say see your Dr.!
Were there any wasps?
Mud daubers will go after ticks and spiders,, and will sting if smashed.

Mosquitos do that to me, but I am mildly allergic to them, so it swells immediately. The ring around it and white spot makes me think spider as well.
I was bit on the hand by a brown recluse about ten years ago. I didn't know what bit me at the time. The bite started like that (but so do many harmless insect bites as well), but the next day I was dizzy, and the circle around the bite was growing. I got nauseous and had a headache. Went to the doctor and got antibiotics and it cleared up. If you are in doubt at all, I would say go to a doctor. Better safe than sorry.

I had a small hole where I was bit but I didn’t feel any pain or anything. I’m hoping mosquito but it’s not itchy...?

I had a small hole where I was bit but I didn’t feel any pain or anything. I’m hoping mosquito but it’s not itchy...?
Where it is located, it might be hard to tell, but spider bites usually have two holes. That was what clued me in with my bite.
Mosquito bites for me usually itch several hours later.

Back
Top Bottom