Have the chickens, now I need a coop. Please help!!!

Pics

FunClucks

Crowing
Apr 8, 2022
North Alabama
I have 8 baby chicks, maybe a week or two old (got them from Rural King right after birth). I had a pre-fab coop with run picked out, and was planning on adding another big run to give me 80 ft of ground space, but reading on here realized that there wouldn't be enough space in the coop area for 8 chickens to roost. I am needing suggestions on what kind of coop to build/modify/cobble together. I'm a totally new chicken owner, and sort of good with building things, but it usually takes much more time than I have available while managing small children, hence the attempt to purchase a pre-fab coop. The rejected coop: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/precision-xl-superior-construction-annex-coop-37077d

Would you recommend I try to convert a metal shed? Maybe this one?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-N...yQqEnNl8mMhL1QkcTcxoCL_0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am in north Alabama, where it is super humid almost all year, maybe we get a few low humidity months in the spring and fall, land of tornadoes, maybe 3 days of snow a year, but usually a month or two of below freezing temperatures. We barely have enough cold time to grow apples. I have about 1/2 acre semi-wooded fenced back yard (chain link), with a stream about 20 feet outside my fence line and vertically down 6 ft. Almost all the trees are 40-50 yr old sweet gum, with one black walnut right next to where I plan to put the coop and run. Issues with poison ivy, issues with ticks and fleas, red hawks, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, neighborhood cats, opossum, water snakes (water moccasin, cottonmounth, rattlers), king snakes, squirrels, song birds, mosquitoes. The proposed coop area gets moderate to heavy shade most of the year (when the leaves are on the trees), and on the worst months the yard is very hot and humid, and the air doesn't move much. We have mainly weeds, violets, and rye grass in the yard at the moment, due to the shade, and lots of tree roots. Heavy clay soil that dries like concrete, and some type of sad grass that looks sorta like Bermuda. Termites are bad here, and there's lots of rotting wood on the other side of my fence and stumps on my property.

For the coop I'm worried about ventilation, poop smell, and keeping the birds safe from predators, as well as having enough space for them and for me to clean it out. There will probably be a number of days they have to stay in their coop instead of their run, for various reasons (weather, etc), and I expect I won't be around during the day most days to check on them when I let them out - they'll get a morning and an evening check. I plan to possibly free range them with supervision, but may not if the run is large enough due to the constant presence of hawks.

The area I have to build the coop and run in is 24' x 48', but I I'd like to enclose 80-100 square feet, and locate a number of pallet hot compost piles nearby. I was hoping to do the deep bedding method, but not sure how successful that would be at keeping smell down in humid alabama.

For the run, should I attempt to build something with 2"x4" and 1/2" hardware cloth, or purchase one of these the chicken runs on Amazon, etc. and cover it with hardware cloth?

I have access to free pallets, but I haven't found anything else I can repurpose, so would have to buy new. Untreated wood, unsealed wood, and unpainted wood is a very bad idea here, so I'd have to do something to every wood surface, if I go that direction.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

The metal shed isn't a bad idea, as long as you really up the ventilation and put it in the shade.
Do you think not having a foundation on the shed would be an issue? Can I set it on the ground (if I put a hardware cloth apron around the outside), or would I have to build a foundation for the shed?

Do you think not having a foundation on the shed would be an issue? Can I set it on the ground (if I put a hardware cloth apron around the outside), or would I have to build a foundation for the shed?
Cinderblocks or gravel and sand could be used for the floor and foundation. Will this be just the coop or the entire area?

Cinderblocks or gravel and sand could be used for the floor and foundation. Will this be just the coop or the entire area?
This would just be the coop. So I'd have to level the ground, place ~2" of gravel, place cinderblocks and mortar them together, and then fill the gravel inside the coop with sand for a smooth surface for the chickens to walk on? Would the gravel deter burrowers, or would I still need hardware cloth apron?

This would just be the coop. So I'd have to level the ground, place ~2" of gravel, place cinderblocks and mortar them together, and then fill the gravel inside the coop with sand for a smooth surface for the chickens to walk on? Would the gravel deter burrowers, or would I still need hardware cloth apron?
Gravel doesn't stop burrowing rodents, so plan on an apron.

What's your soil like? You could just do the coop right on the dirt, instead of adding gravel and sand, unless you're intending for sand to be the litter.

Not many things can burrow through cinderblocks, I wouldn't worry about burrowing with cinderblocks for the coop floor. Cover with sand for bedding. As for the run, a deep hardware cloth layer 6 - 8 inches down and covered with dirt will be good for predators.

Just add the gravel under the blocks, no need to mortar them with one or two courses.
Definitely do the aprons as they can dig under the blocks.
Bedding inside the coop doesn't need to be sand.

Just add the gravel under the blocks, no need to mortar them with one or two courses.
Definitely do the aprons as they can dig under the blocks.
Bedding inside the coop doesn't need to be sand.
How would I attach the hardware cloth to the metal? For both the apron and the ventilation I plan to put on the coop sides and eves? All I can think of is metal zip ties, and that could get pricey cause I'd need a lot of them. I was thinking of pine shavings bedding.

Gravel doesn't stop burrowing rodents, so plan on an apron.

What's your soil like? You could just do the coop right on the dirt, instead of adding gravel and sand, unless you're intending for sand to be the litter.
My soil is hard clay. The area has standing water after a rain, so I'm thinking about building it up a bit where the shed will sit. Not sure if gravel or dirt is best to do that with. Maybe both? Either that, or bury rain diverter around the building (like 6-12" landscape edging) to keep any standing water from running underneath. Also there's a floor kit for the shed, which is a possibility, but it's not structural, just an open frame on which one would place plywood sheeting about an inch above the soil

Back
Top Bottom