Black Australorp beak color/gender difference?

smartin202

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Hi everyone. I asked my local feed store (not TSC) to order in Black Australorp hens for me. They only order pullets. I picked 2 up today. The worker was rushing me to pick out the 2 I wanted because she wanted to get the cover back on them. They are 2-3 days old. They look exactly the same except one has a black beak, and the other has an almost white beak with just a dot of black near the top. I have tried to research sexing them as chicks but have come up empty handed. I did find one video from a hatchery with a bunch of day old chicks together and noticed the same differences in beak color. Does anyone know if this is a way to tell a hen from a rooster?

The good news is that the feed store ordered a few different breeds as they do every year, but this is the first time they've ordered the Black Australorps. After researching them, they sound like a wonderful breed and will do well up here in the North! I am happy they ordered extras so others around here can enjoy them too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The beak color variations are normal and unrelated to gender. If they ordered pullets, the odds are very good that you got exactly that. They're right more than 90% of the time.

Thanks debid! I didn't notice the beak color difference until I got home, and then I got very concerned that one was a rooster. If someone said "yes" then I would have taken it back and traded it in! I have 11 other hens...6 were ordered as pullets and they all were. The other 5 were bought as month old chicks from a farmer...we bought 15 that she told us all were hens and only 5 were. So I guess I do/should have more faith in the sexed ones. Thanks again.

Last edited:
The one with a more black beak is probably more Australorp, if you know what i mean. I live in Australia and I've got an Aussie Australorp.

Hi Rhode Island. That does make sense kind of. I guess that would have to do with the different breeds used in developing the breed? Or maybe in the past some other breed rooster got lucky with an Australorp hen? If I get more in the future I will look for black beaks then. I'm learning so much on here already. Thank you :)

the beak should turn black, its like when birds should have black legs and yellow feet bottoms as an adult and as chicks half the legs are yellow. As an adult though the same chick now has the correct black legs and yellow feet bottoms

Back
Top Bottom