Black Australorp chick sexing

littlelune810

Chirping
Nov 6, 2015
Washington State
I picked up 2 Black Australorp chicks last Friday, so they are about 8 to 11 days old. Speedy and Rocket, my son named them. Speedy has impressive wing and tail feathers already, and her comb is dark colored. Rocket has wing feathers but not as many as Speedy, and Rocket's tail feathers are only just now coming in. Also Rocket's comb is a light color, sort of grayish pink. Does it sound like Rocket is a boy? Im hoping they're both pullets, but I have a feeling Ive got one of each. Thanks in advance!

Getting pictures of my chicks is easier said than done
I tried. They hate being picked up and it seems picking them up causes more stress for them than anything. I guess what Im wondering is if Australorps are one of the breeds that you can tell sex by earlier feathering. I have heard that birds who get their feathers later are more likely to be roos?

I agree photos are necessary...and best if chick is not held...that means waiting awhile until you can get them still enough to photograph.

No, Australorps are not feather sexable...and that would only be at a day of age anyway.

Feather sexing only works for lines that have been bred such that one parent is fast feathering and the other is slow feathering...so typically hybrids and commercial production lines....and as said...only works on day old chicks.

As to roos feathering in more slowly, many breeds do see that trait; however, it is not reliable as birds mature a different rates, and if purchased from a feed store, you often wind up with chicks from different shipments (hatch dates) which skew the results.

LofMc

I agree photos are necessary...and best if chick is not held...that means waiting awhile until you can get them still enough to photograph.

No, Australorps are not feather sexable...and that would only be at a day of age anyway.

Feather sexing only works for lines that have been bred such that one parent is fast feathering and the other is slow feathering...so typically hybrids and commercial production lines....and as said...only works on day old chicks.

As to roos feathering in more slowly, many breeds do see that trait; however, it is not reliable as birds mature a different rates, and if purchased from a feed store, you often wind up with chicks from different shipments (hatch dates) which skew the results.

LofMc

Thank you! I guess I will just wait and see then.

Back
Top Bottom