black australorp hen or rooster? PICS

I also think the lady just saw a good opportunity to get back a nice hen. Nothing about that bird looked like a 19wk old roo.

I am totally new to chickens, so this may be a stupid question, but regardless of what it looks like, if I have a "girl" that crowed this morning, there's no chance she's not a rooster, right? I got a black Australorp recently that was supposed to be a hen, an I can't have roosters in town. She is probably around 19 or 20 weeks. But this morning's actions give me the sinking feeling that she Is a he. Any experts out there who can comment?

the last pic, the one on the left is a pullet? I'd sworn that'd be a roo? oh man I gotta get this figured out.
barnie.gif

post #1 is the one I referring to. Sorry I didn't use the quote button.

Last edited:
I have a 17 week old black australop and am concerned it is a rooster. The chicken's comb and wattles are very developed and wide. It also made a weird noise the last two mornings but I am not sure if it was really crowing or not. Here is a picture, does anyone have advice on what they think it is, a hen or a rooster?

I have a 17 week old black australop and am concerned it is a rooster. The chicken's comb and wattles are very developed and wide. It also made a weird noise the last two mornings but I am not sure if it was really crowing or not. Here is a picture, does anyone have advice on what they think it is, a hen or a rooster?

This is a hen. From the looks of things, she should be laying you nice brown eggs. If not now, any day now.

This is a useful discussion! My one black australorp "hen", Diana, is about 17 weeks old. Diana struts around the chicken run, and twice I've seen her on top of my little silkie hen. No crows yet, but now I know that when I get home, to look at the saddle and hackle feathers, and hopefully snap a pick for this thread.

Thank you so much for the confirmation. Glad he is not my favorite of the flock, and my husband will be happy to pass him along before he starts crowing.

Back
Top Bottom