Black Australorp Roo X EE hen?

RattlesnakeRidgeWV

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2011
Hedgesville, WV
My question is what will the chicks look like. The hen looks like a welsummer in color, Gold hackles, with brown and black feathering. She lays really blue eggs. I am assuming the black will override meaning black chicks but what about the egg color of the chicks when they mature. Any guesses from the gene experts? Yes I know they would just be mutts.

The eggs will probably be olive...as far as the chicks, I'm not a genetic expert...so we'll see if someone else chimes in!!

Thanks for the quick reply. That is what I was hoping, but there is no sure bet with crosses. The only thing I can hope for is the freindlyness and egg laying machines that the two breeds are.

Australorps don't lay particularly dark eggs... so I'm guessing the cross would just be green. Maybe pale green, depending on the hen's egg color. Olive eggers are bred from DARK egg layers (Marans, welsummer, barnevelder, penedesenca, etc) over easter eggers.

I'm guessing you know that your hen is not a welsummer, despite coloration... but she sounds beautiful!

And the answer is that they look just like my BA chicks. Black and white fluff with the black and pink toes. The beak coloring is all the same also. The truth will be in the pudding when they feather out. I promise I will let you know in about 6 to 8 weeks!

According to the chicken calculator, the offspring will be primarily black. You will probably get light green eggs out of the female offspring.

I have the cross the opposite way, EE rooster over BA hens. Here are some pictures of the offspring, I had a third with a touch of red around her neck but I'm not finding any pictures:
4439_chickens_6-26-11_023.jpg

4439_ba-ee_pullet_2-15.jpg

and the middle egg came from one of them:
4439_2_small_green_eggs_and_a_normal_green_egg_9-20_003.jpg

Last edited:
I have the cross the opposite way, EE rooster over BA hens. Here are some pictures of the offspring, I had a third with a touch of red around her neck but I'm not finding any pictures:
4439_chickens_6-26-11_023.jpg

4439_ba-ee_pullet_2-15.jpg

and the middle egg came from one of them:
4439_2_small_green_eggs_and_a_normal_green_egg_9-20_003.jpg
So would they be considered an olive egger ??

Back
Top Bottom