Black Australorp Rooster suddenly turned aggressive

Farmergyrl23

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
We have a 9 month old Black Australorp rooster, who we've raised since he was a day old. Up until now he really hasn't shown signs of aggression. I have noticed that our hens were missing feathers on the top of their heads and backs, I witnessed him pulling their feathers out the other day. He has suddenly started "puffing" himself up and side stepping towards me, usually I just say in a loud calm voice knock it off and away he runs. Yesterday he came after me while I was doing chores in the morning and would of got me in the leg if I didn't have something in my hand. This morning I was feeding them like I always do and he came after me with a vengenance and wasn't backing down. Is this breed usually aggressive? Wondering if it's time for him to go a new home? I can't have him attacking me all the time.

Any type of rooster can be/turn aggressive and it sounds like yours is testing you out.

If you want a quick fix, fix him up for dinner or otherwise get rid of him.

If you're willing to put in a little effort to see if you can change his behavior towards you, then there are a few things to think about/try. The first is to start entering his line of sight with his favorite treats/snacks in your hands. Don't get any closer than a few feet, especially if he starts coming for you, and then crouch down and offer the food. Be consistent and start doing this every time you approach.

No chicken in their right might will attack a feed dispenser, but no feed dispenser is going to stand/loom over them and shove a hand in their face. Let him and the flock come to you (call them, even). Don't move too quick or talk too loud, and if you have the time, start spending time around them; even sitting a few feet away and watching. Get everyone used to your presence and show that you're not out to get anyone.

Periodically, scoop your roo up. Give him a rub on the head and talk quietly to him and then put him down, gently, but only if he's calm. If he's struggling, hang on to him until he stops and then release him. Also pick up any of the girls, in front of him, and do the same. Just make sure you get a clean catch. If any struggle or freak out, you're going to upset them and him and everyone goes into defensive mode. So if you can't catch cleanly, don't (unless it's for medical evaluation, etc.).

Otherwise, just pay attention to what you're doing, what you're carrying, and how you're moving around him. Whatever you're carrying might intimidate him and he'll go into defensive mode. Quick movements and loud noise are often perceived as threats, too. Don't lean over him, but squat down in front of him when offering food or reaching for him. Basically, treat him like you would a dog that doesn't know you. Be as calm and disarming as possible and always consider how you would appear to you in you were only a few feet tall.

You can try what was suggested, but don't blame yourself if it just doesn't work. Temperament is heritable and usually, the only way to have a good tempered rooster is to keep only good- tempered roosters and cull the ones who are so stupid that they attack the humans who bring feed and water. Once they are mating the hens, the aggression is hard to change. It easier if it's just biting as a youngster testing boundaries, but once the hormones are in play, it's much harder, and to be honest, nearly impossible, in my experience. I refuse to have to watch my back in any chicken pen because of a mean rooster.

Why put up with a human-aggressive rooster when you can have one like my Isaac, who does his duty to the max, and is completely easygoing and friendly? Check out the video in this post for proof of what a rooster can be like:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/384349/sdwd/14610#post_8894682

You may not believe it, but Isaac was not coddled at all as a youngster. His temperament is what it is as you see it because that's just him. He had not met that teenager before that weekend, either. The blue Orp in the avatar is just as friendly and is happy to eat out of your hand any day of the week. He's never bitten or flogged me, but then, who wants a 14 lb rooster hitting them across the back of the legs, right??

I don't require my roosters to be cuddle-bugs, of course, but I do expect them not to bite or flog me, not ever, and certainly not one as large as an Australorp, who could knock me off my feet if he hit me just right. Life's too short.

Last edited:
Yes, there is truly no guarantee that any effort towards taming a roo will work. Sometimes even the best efforts won't make any difference and if there is any risk of a injury/aggression to a child, forget it. It's never worth losing an eye or having permanent scars.

That video just made me melt, though.
love.gif
....and now I want to go hug my roo.
lol.png

Ours is still on the skittish side when it comes to hands reaching for him, but he won't attack you for trying or fight you if you scoop him up. If you sit among the flock, though (especially with food), he'll be on you in short order and if you pick him up he'll allow for the same head/face petting (which makes inspection of combs/wattles for pests easy). Good roos are so damnably fun.

Last edited:
Completely agreed about the danger to small children! No reason to risk that since even one well-placed flog can put out a child's eye. In that situation, there are just too many great roosters out there to bother trying to reform one that probably isn't reformable, at least to a great degree of reliability.

That Isaac surprised even me that weekend. I knew he was a good boy, super sweet, but he sure took a shine to my young visitor. I have one of his sons coming along to add to the flock with him, if he'll accept him, mainly because of that temperament. The bar is set very high around here for a rooster, as you can imagine.

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I have been talking quietly and getting down on his level and he seems to calm down a little more when I do that, hoping that his aggression will stop, he is a handsome boy. Loved the video of Isaac what a sweetheart!

If all else fails, make him afraid of you by squirting him with a water hose. I had a roo that was one crazy dude. He flogged me so much every day I got fed up and starting kicking back! No matter how hard I kicked, he wouldn't back down. I ended up running after a water hose. That changed his attitude real quick. He never bothered me again.

You can try what was suggested, but don't blame yourself if it just doesn't work. Temperament is heritable and usually, the only way to have a good tempered rooster is to keep only good- tempered roosters and cull the ones who are so stupid that they attack the humans who bring feed and water. Once they are mating the hens, the aggression is hard to change. It easier if it's just biting as a youngster testing boundaries, but once the hormones are in play, it's much harder, and to be honest, nearly impossible, in my experience. I refuse to have to watch my back in any chicken pen because of a mean rooster.

Why put up with a human-aggressive rooster when you can have one like my Isaac, who does his duty to the max, and is completely easygoing and friendly? Check out the video in this post for proof of what a rooster can be like:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/384349/sdwd/14610#post_8894682

You may not believe it, but Isaac was not coddled at all as a youngster. His temperament is what it is as you see it because that's just him. He had not met that teenager before that weekend, either. The blue Orp in the avatar is just as friendly and is happy to eat out of your hand any day of the week. He's never bitten or flogged me, but then, who wants a 14 lb rooster hitting them across the back of the legs, right??

I don't require my roosters to be cuddle-bugs, of course, but I do expect them not to bite or flog me, not ever, and certainly not one as large as an Australorp, who could knock me off my feet if he hit me just right. Life's too short.

What breed is Isaac? I'm on my phone so mostly all I saw was a blurb of white and red. :)

Back
Top Bottom