Black Australorp - timid Roo or dominant Hen?

TheFugitivePen

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Eastern Tennessee
I feel a bit like a nincumpoop posting this for a six month old chicken, but here we go ......

This is Tickety Boo. I apologize for the less-than-ideal photos.

20221021_190100.jpg

20221021_190054.jpg

She grew a red comb and wattles before any of her brooder mates.
However, she displayed zero Roo tendencies over the next few months. No crowing, no spurs, nothing.
But also no eggs, yet.
We have 3 or 4 pullets who started laying in the last two weeks, and they squat when I come near.
Tickety does not squat but neither does she challenge me in any way.

But tonight I watched her mount one of our pullets. I know that, sometimes, a hen will mount another in a display of dominance. If it was dominance, it looked awfully close to hanky-panky .... or maybe Tickety just couldn't get her balance.

Again, I feel overly silly asking, but I defer to the experts.;)
Do I have a late-blooming Cockerel ..... or a dominating Pullet?

Awfully huge comb and wattles, but I'm just not seeing any pointy saddles feathers from this view. I do know a orp hen that has comb and wattles that would rival a rooster, so it's possible.
@Faraday40
@ColtHandorf
What do you 2 think?
Thank you!
We have at least one other hen who also has a comb as large as Tickety's, but we've confirmed that she's been laying for two weeks. We've found her in the nesting box consistently and she squats for me.

Tickety is just an odd ball.
When she never crowed, I was like, "Oh, okay, she's a girl with a big comb. No worries."

And then she mounted a pullet and I'm worried again 😅 lol

The mounting a hen is odd, but I’ll guess pullet if she’s 6 months. I don’t see the typical saddle feathers and you said there’s no crowing. The comb /wattles are big and red, but it’s more likely she’s getting closer to that 1st egg

Many of my hens squat for me - but not all. I have a Sebright (named Trouble) who squats for no one. She’s fearless, independent, and has no problem putting a 14 lb rooster in his place. Trouble is my tiny hen with a big attitude. She even crows sometimes - but only when broody

If you already have a rooster, then a younger (lower pecking order) male may not crow. In the absence of a rooster, the top cockerel would likely be an early leader and crow- er.

Back
Top Bottom