13 week Black Australorp, hen or roo?

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
I've posted about Mushroom before, but wanted to get any updated thoughts. 13 weeks old, comb started to color last week. Her Australorp brooder-mate (Pepper) is very clearly a pullet with a tiny pale comb and minimal wattles. My Golden Comets also still have their pale combs with zero wattles, and I understand they'd hit maturity a lot faster than the Australorps.

She has no special saddle or sickle feathers (all are rounded and identical to Pepper's). She is the most outgoing and affectionate, which I understand can be rooster traits. REALLY hoping she's a pullet, as we only have four and don't intend to expand the flock anytime soon.

I've attached photos of both Australorps so you can see the facial difference.

Thanks for your help 🙂

EDIT: Should mention that everyone's extra flushed because they just finished cricket chasing! Anyone that has pavers or rocks around their pen, lift them up for free snacks!

Attachments

• IMG_4775.jpeg
    IMG_4775.jpeg
    744.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4803.jpeg
    IMG_4803.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 33
They both look like pullets to me. Mushroom might just be one of those hens with a slightly larger and brighter comb and wattles. I had an Australorp hen like that, I thought she was a rooster for a bit, but her feathers were all rounded and hen like. And sure enough, she became one of my top layers 😊

They both look like pullets to me. Mushroom might just be one of those hens with a slightly larger and brighter comb and wattles. I had an Australorp hen like that, I thought she was a rooster for a bit, but her feathers were all rounded and hen like. And sure enough, she became one of my top layers 😊
This is exactly what I wanted to hear! 🥳

Back
Top Bottom