Black Australorp

agrred my Black Australorp is a super lap chicken, she's small but feisty. She's never been a great layer but I have always thought its because she the Alpha hen in a flock of all females so she has taken on a more masculine personality.

I got 6 Australorp babies and were so surprised at how calm they are compaired to the other chicks I got. They like to run a little a stretch their wings of course but they are very quiet chicks. I love them.

Hey Bisqit&gravy! Is that the NN you got from noodles? She is so cute! I'm glad she went to a good home! Where are you getting your Australorps from? When I got my chickens I got 3 from these two women in Lacon and they are really sweeties. I think they are about 4 weeks old and I can definitely tell a difference between roo and pullets in mine! The boy is larger and his wattles are fleshing out but the girls have not started yet. Good Luck!

Hi,
My two Australorps are real sweeties. As chics the smaller one was picked on alot and lost some feathers but now they all get along well.

Good luck with your choice they are good chics,
Ed

Yotta Yotta, Yep I got him from noodles:) My 2 OEG bantys came from lacon. The lady was nice but told me they were breeds other that what they are. Dog Days in Ardmore is where I got my others. Have never gone on Memorial Day weekend and it's huge!! I got two pekins there Sat:D We also came home with another mille fleur that they hubby wanted. He looked so cute walking thru there carrying his hen..haha

Guess it's time to introduce Mo's friend:) Only got one b/c she sold ALOT since saturday. This one is 4-5 wks old and I sure hope pullet. It was the only one that looked different from the others that had bigger combs and thick legs.
She's purple from some kind of lotion she put on them since they were pecking at eachother.
We went right ahead and stuck her with Mo since they are close to same age and almost the same size. Think Mo's a tab bigger. They took to eachother right away. No jumping at eachother or pecking.

Mo's a happy camper now. He was chirping at 1:30 am last night when I went out:-(
Picture202.jpg

Picture201.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Picture190.jpg

Last edited:
Yotta Yotta, Yep I got him from noodles:) My 2 OEG bantys came from lacon. The lady was nice but told me they were breeds other that what they are. Dog Days in Ardmore is where I got my others. Have never gone on Memorial Day weekend and it's huge!!

LOL! Yep I got warned before I went that stuff like that might happen at Lacon
barnie.gif
...when ever I asked what something was I tried to be real casual like I wasn't really expecting anything. I noticed most of the chickens there were OEG.
hu.gif
I think it might be for cock fighting
sad.png
But I think I got lucky when I got my chicks. Someone told me about Dog Days and we almost went there instead. It sounds like it would have been a better place.

I got two pekins there Sat:D We also came home with another mille fleur that they hubby wanted. He looked so cute walking thru there carrying his hen..haha

tongue.png
It is cute when our guys like pets as much we do.
love.gif

Your Australorp looks beautiful! And she's got the nice dark beak and legs like Australorps are supposed to! I hope Mo will be much happier now!​

beefy, I'm suprised how calm she is. It was a hot morning and a long walk that I didn't feel like carrying a carrier...left it in the car. So, I took my burlap tote bag that's very airy and the baby rode in it while we walked around. She rode in it on the way home too b/c the adult was in the carrier.

Yotta Yotta, I thought the same thing about Lacon when we went. My parents use to have a booth there 20 yrs+ ago and it was nicer. I hadn't been until 4 months ago and what a dump it is now!!! There were some rough looking roosters at booths around that one lady...big booth at the end of a row.
She's the one I got Bisqit and Gravy from. Woke up the next day and they were very sick too. Me and a vet I use to work for thought for sure Gravy was gonna die.

I think you will be very happy with your new girl. They look adorable together! I really love my black australorps. The hens are all nice and calm and one in particular is especially friendly. Her name is Shadow, not just because she is black but because when I am out in the yard she will "shadow" me where ever I go, practically walking on my heels
lol.png
. She would also stand outside the kitchen windows trying to get my attention--of course she always got a treat when she did that
big_smile.png

The roosters were an other matter, though. They were the meanest son of a guns that I ever met. One of them met his fate very early in life when he tried to kill my little Silver Spangled Hamburg roo when they were only a few months old. My son took the other roo and it was aggressive the whole time he had it. I do have to say that the roosters were a beautiful bird....very black with the green sheen on the feathers and bright red combs and wattles.

Back
Top Bottom