Black bantam, what breed? Very pic heavy!

CupcakeCaper

Hatching
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Hey guys, meet Notley! A bit over a month ago my fiance and I found this girl as a stray in a rainforest parking lot. We know she's a bantam because she's tiny and to be honest I just don't really know anything about chickens as I've never personally owned any before.

Although I have a good idea of what she may be there's been some suggestions she may be a mixed breed so can I have any and all thoughts on breed and age? Just want to see what you guys think without putting ideas in your heads! Take into consideration, she's from Australia so I know some breeds aren't as common in different countries.

These are from when we found her or within the few days after we had her home. Shows size (compared to flat tray ute tyre), colour, shape, comb, etc:

Her tail has also grown a bit while I've been away (I found her interstate so she's staying with the future in-laws) so my fiance took some photos, unfortunately not great quality, so sorry! She's also moulting now.

Thanks for having a look guys!

Definitely let me know if you think of it!
It kills me that she's being kept in a different state to me because I'm totally smitten with her and I miss her sooo much... It's so weird that she was stray in the middle of nowhere. The closest chook breeder we could look up was around 40km away from where we found her.

She is either a black sex link... which can have black combs and wattles, but turn red with age... from what I understand, but I think she may be a black kedu cemani. Thats what she looks like to me... I could be so wrong, but that was my first reaction!

I'm thinking the feathers and the body structures are too different, but I can see where you're coming from!

She's an Ayam Cemani, I'm pretty darn sure of that. Lucky you!

However, you're right about the body type. She HAS to be part Ayam Cemani, but going by her stance, tail posture, she may be mixed with Serama (with non-drop of the wing coming from the Ayam) or Leghorn.

Last edited:
I love her to bits. My in-laws have hens, but Notley is just seems really special. But I'm completely biased :p
But yeah, I'm just so curious about her. Wondering what she is, where she came from, how she got where we found her... But I guess I'll just give you guys what we've been lead to believe she is. So, remembering Notley and I are both from Australia, we believe she's a bantam Aussie Pit Game but quite possibly crossed wit her bodh something. So we were wondering if maybe she was accidentally crossed and maybe she got dumped because she isn't pure bred or something. But obviously that's just one of many options of what could have happened to her, lol.

I think the Aussie Pit Game fits fairly well but I was wondering if her body shape was a bit big for the Aussie Pit Games and that the black face might be a bit unusual? I don't know... What do you guys think with this extra info?

I know it has been years since this post, but I think she is a Sumatra hen! I think I have a 4 week old one right now so I have been looking into the black chicken breeds with black faces! Hope you and she are doing well!

Black Sumatran. I have a bunch of them. I really love them. My three year old has even managed to hide outside and hatch out 6 half silver ducking frizzle half Sumatran chick's 4 days before Christmas. .. in the cold, rain, and fending off possums. She's a phenomenal mom. First rate!! She's currently sitting on a nest of her own eggs (same mix likely) and on my easter eggers (she's a bit of a harlot if you get my drift so who knows who the roos are).

I have this exact girl! I'm not quite convinced she's Sumatran or Cemani, she's not quite that black and they are much bigger than she is, she is so tiny! She "might" weigh 2 pounds.... big maybe.
I had a hen hatch 2 eggs in March, so I "filled in" from Tractor Supply for her to raise, and this was one that I chose. It just said "misc Bantam" they didn't give She is a sweetheart! However, my Little Mama that raised them doesn't know when to stop mothering them (you should see a Cochin bantam with 7 babies trying to fit under her, and they are all bigger than she is!) so I removed her to my enclosed pen, and this little one decided she wasn't sleeping in the main coop anymore, so she roosts way up high in the breezeway. I worry about her constantly because we have a lot of predators, but she is determined. She comes around early in the morning for her treats at the front door, so I oblige her. My husband was just sure she was a boy so he named her Little Black Sambo, and it's kinda stuck, so I call her Sammie. Sorry for picture quality, she wouldn't hold still, the goat wanted some attention, and she wanted to scratch with her brothers and sisters. She gets very excited when they are let out in the morning - but she doesn't miss them enough to go in the coop with them at night :\
P.S. She has the exact same comb as yours, but I couldn't get a pic of it.

Back
Top Bottom