Black Bear

mydadsjoy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Day before yesterday, two of my hens escaped the run just before I had to be somewhere. I thought nothing of it, I'd be sure they got home the moment I got back. They have a place they like to roost if it's dusk and they're out. I got back at 8:15 but could only find one. I looked everywhere. Odd, but went to bed thinking she had found a tree or something.

Yesterday morning, I still couldn't find her. Now I was getting worried. I let the others out into the run, put the kids on the bus.. checked around - still nothing. Went inside to tidy up, and heard the chickens going crazy. I thought to myself, "Wow, Ivory really wants back in that coop, she's causing quite a fuss." So outside I went - rounded a corner - and there he was - a huge black bear at my coop! We looked at each other for a second (I had to let what I was seeing sink in) and then he bolted. I kinda did too.. went inside to think.

So now the chickens are in the run and there's a bear lurking. No, I wasn't going to go over there to close the run. Hopefully they'll have the good sense to stay inside the coop. Stupid birds - nope. My run is only to keep them in, not to keep things out - most certainly NOT predator proof. Sure enough - I came out later and saw the hole in the wire and my beautiful young roo was missing. Poor thing stood between the girls and the bear. Looking around there were 3 small white feathers near the coop - my best laying hen Ivory.... sigh.

When hubby came home from work, I had him stand watch while I put 2x4's over the doors and bolted them down. If the bear is determined he can still get in, but I did what I could. Today I'm in the market for an electric fence charger and barbed wire. Those things terrify me - I have 2 kids - one is autistic. I'll need to put up heavy signage.

I have 8 hens left. 1 mature, 1 just starting to lay, and the others at POL. I've worked so hard to get them where they are - now this. Hopefully he won't mess with the coop itself. So far he's left that alone at least. My girls and kids are on maximum security lockdown until I'm sure he's moved on. Sigh.

Day before yesterday, two of my hens escaped the run just before I had to be somewhere. I thought nothing of it, I'd be sure they got home the moment I got back. They have a place they like to roost if it's dusk and they're out. I got back at 8:15 but could only find one. I looked everywhere. Odd, but went to bed thinking she had found a tree or something.

Yesterday morning, I still couldn't find her. Now I was getting worried. I let the others out into the run, put the kids on the bus.. checked around - still nothing. Went inside to tidy up, and heard the chickens going crazy. I thought to myself, "Wow, Ivory really wants back in that coop, she's causing quite a fuss." So outside I went - rounded a corner - and there he was - a huge black bear at my coop! We looked at each other for a second (I had to let what I was seeing sink in) and then he bolted. I kinda did too.. went inside to think.

So now the chickens are in the run and there's a bear lurking. No, I wasn't going to go over there to close the run. Hopefully they'll have the good sense to stay inside the coop. Stupid birds - nope. My run is only to keep them in, not to keep things out - most certainly NOT predator proof. Sure enough - I came out later and saw the hole in the wire and my beautiful young roo was missing. Poor thing stood between the girls and the bear. Looking around there were 3 small white feathers near the coop - my best laying hen Ivory.... sigh.

When hubby came home from work, I had him stand watch while I put 2x4's over the doors and bolted them down. If the bear is determined he can still get in, but I did what I could. Today I'm in the market for an electric fence charger and barbed wire. Those things terrify me - I have 2 kids - one is autistic. I'll need to put up heavy signage.

I have 8 hens left. 1 mature, 1 just starting to lay, and the others at POL. I've worked so hard to get them where they are - now this. Hopefully he won't mess with the coop itself. So far he's left that alone at least. My girls and kids are on maximum security lockdown until I'm sure he's moved on. Sigh.
Sorry to hear about your chickens. He will be back until he can no longer get any food. I have been very pleased with the electric poultry fencing from Premier1. I have both the Poultry Plus and the PermaNet. I like the PermaNet better, but that could be because I use it on a hill of clay and rock. I believe the Premier1 site claims their fencing will keep out bears. Good luck with your predator proofing.

Sorry to hear about your chickens. He will be back until he can no longer get any food. I have been very pleased with the electric poultry fencing from Premier1. I have both the Poultry Plus and the PermaNet. I like the PermaNet better, but that could be because I use it on a hill of clay and rock. I believe the Premier1 site claims their fencing will keep out bears. Good luck with your predator proofing.

Thank you. Looking into it this morning.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your chickens. Have you considered lethal means? Considering what you've said, protecting your children is more important than protecting your chickens. I'd put that big boy in the freezer.

Oh my gosh...I was under the impression that black bears would not attack chickens...that they only want their feed and eggs......I learn something new everyday!! Sorry for your loss.......hope you catch the bear! ~Beulah

I think electric is a really strong choice, just get a really powerful one. I have one designed for 10 miles of fencing, and let me tell you it packs
quite a whallop.
Everything wants chicken for dinner. Sorry to hear about your loss, maybe you should put the fencing around your whole yard? 6 ft concrete
wall? Stay safe.

Oh my gosh...I was under the impression that black bears would not attack chickens...that they only want their feed and eggs......I learn something new everyday!! Sorry for your loss.......hope you catch the bear! ~Beulah
I was under that impression as well... until yesterday. I believe because they're so hungry this year due to the locusts ruining the acorns/berries etc. they're coming around more. Reports are everywhere here. :(

Sorry to hear about the loss of your chickens. Have you considered lethal means? Considering what you've said, protecting your children is more important than protecting your chickens. I'd put that big boy in the freezer.
I have - yet it's illegal right now without a kill permit. Will take 2 days to get one - thinking seriously about it. We will need someone to come "do the deed" tho, since we 're not hunters and we certainly don't want to just make him mad!

I think electric is a really strong choice, just get a really powerful one. I have one designed for 10 miles of fencing, and let me tell you it packs
quite a whallop.
Everything wants chicken for dinner. Sorry to hear about your loss, maybe you should put the fencing around your whole yard? 6 ft concrete
wall? Stay safe.

Hahha! Yeah a 6 foot concrete wall... but they can climb ya know!
he.gif
I would love to do the whole yard - but again, kids. I have serious "remembering" issues... it would be horrid if one of them suffered a shock because I forgot to turn it off. Ugh, choices choices.

Please try some electric fencing or reinforcing your coop before you kill a bear! Please!

Why are you pleading for this bear's life, may I ask? The OP already said there was concern for the safety of her children.

Please try some electric fencing or reinforcing your coop before you kill a bear! Please!
Just ordered the electric fence charger - chickens are inside the newly reinforced coop as we speak.

Why are you pleading for this bear's life, may I ask? The OP already said there was concern for the safety of her children.
I do understand others not wanting us to harm the bear. We'll do what we can - then we will do what we must - for the safety of everyone - kids/chickens/moms... :)
The hope is that the fence to a wet nose will be enough for the safety of all.

Back
Top Bottom