Black Bear

Day before yesterday, two of my hens escaped the run just before I had to be somewhere. I thought nothing of it, I'd be sure they got home the moment I got back. They have a place they like to roost if it's dusk and they're out. I got back at 8:15 but could only find one. I looked everywhere. Odd, but went to bed thinking she had found a tree or something.

Yesterday morning, I still couldn't find her. Now I was getting worried. I let the others out into the run, put the kids on the bus.. checked around - still nothing. Went inside to tidy up, and heard the chickens going crazy. I thought to myself, "Wow, Ivory really wants back in that coop, she's causing quite a fuss." So outside I went - rounded a corner - and there he was - a huge black bear at my coop! We looked at each other for a second (I had to let what I was seeing sink in) and then he bolted. I kinda did too.. went inside to think.

So now the chickens are in the run and there's a bear lurking. No, I wasn't going to go over there to close the run. Hopefully they'll have the good sense to stay inside the coop. Stupid birds - nope. My run is only to keep them in, not to keep things out - most certainly NOT predator proof. Sure enough - I came out later and saw the hole in the wire and my beautiful young roo was missing. Poor thing stood between the girls and the bear. Looking around there were 3 small white feathers near the coop - my best laying hen Ivory.... sigh.

When hubby came home from work, I had him stand watch while I put 2x4's over the doors and bolted them down. If the bear is determined he can still get in, but I did what I could. Today I'm in the market for an electric fence charger and barbed wire. Those things terrify me - I have 2 kids - one is autistic. I'll need to put up heavy signage.

I have 8 hens left. 1 mature, 1 just starting to lay, and the others at POL. I've worked so hard to get them where they are - now this. Hopefully he won't mess with the coop itself. So far he's left that alone at least. My girls and kids are on maximum security lockdown until I'm sure he's moved on. Sigh.
Does your kid have asperger's syndrome? that's what I have.

So, I got a call from my friend who lives 2 miles away as the crow flies. The part of the story I didn't tell was that early last week, down her road, a black bear had been killing chickens. Not at her place - she has fort knox - electric fences - a coop built better than my house, etc. But anyway, the bear was back today - killed 2 more. Hmm. I think this thing is making it's rounds. The gentleman who has now lost 6 (that I know of) chickens to this menace does have a kill permit, but apparently didn't see it, just saw the "feathers". Ugh.

My charger is on the way. Girls are locked up tight - not happy about it, but as safe as I can make them for the time being.

That bear has been sighted and photographed just walking right past my friend's fortress. To easier pickings. Seems my girls are now on that list - for the moment. Only for the moment.

So if you saw the bear attacking your chickens, you would not shoot it because you lack a "permit"? You would allow the thing to destroy/kill your chickens/property over a technicality? I'd have him hanging and skinned before he knew what hit him.

Yes Yes i would kill the bear if it was killing chickens and scaring people because if it is hungry enough i will kill someone or severely injure them

this post just made me go and get a 12 Gage skeet shotgun

Killing a bear is not as easy as just getting a gun and shooting. It can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing because a wounded bear is 10x more dangerous. The OP is right to get someone who knows what they are doing to hunt him down. Just out of curiosity, would DNR or DFW come in and trap and relocate him since he is a menace?

How autistic is your son? Would he understand not to go near the electric fence? If he would find it difficult to remember maybe you could set up a cheap and cheerful chicken wire fence or something similar to keep your son safe from the electric fencing.

Turtleman, if you're reading this thread, how much help if any did you get in school for your aspergers? My son was diagnosed 6 years ago, while in high school and got a bit of consideration. At university he's been given a lot more assistance - extra time in exams if needed, more feedback on coursework, mentor, etc. Just wondering if there is more help in the US than here (UK).

Does your kid have asperger's syndrome? that's what I have.
He is high functioning autistic. My grown son has asperger's syndrome. I'm very familiar with both. Do you have support?

So if you saw the bear attacking your chickens, you would not shoot it because you lack a "permit"? You would allow the thing to destroy/kill your chickens/property over a technicality? I'd have him hanging and skinned before he knew what hit him.
We live in a very small, tight community and we pastor the local (very local) Methodist church. If we did anything outside the law our work would be severely compromised. One can't sneeze without the community knowing, let alone kill the local big bear on the mountain.
Yes Yes i would kill the bear if it was killing chickens and scaring people because if it is hungry enough i will kill someone or severely injure them

this post just made me go and get a 12 Gage skeet shotgun
Really? I really want to go get one and fill it with birdshot and keep it handy. Which brings me to my answer to the next post....

Killing a bear is not as easy as just getting a gun and shooting. It can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing because a wounded bear is 10x more dangerous. The OP is right to get someone who knows what they are doing to hunt him down. Just out of curiosity, would DNR or DFW come in and trap and relocate him since he is a menace?
Thankfully we have a pretty secure (no stairs) deck that is just above the coop. Yes he can climb, but not before I go inside and bolt the doors. So, I can fill him full of birdshot, if that makes him leave - wonderful - if it makes him mad.... I cut and run. I have zero experience hunting, wouldn't want to kill it anyway - if we can help it. I'm going to call the local game warden today. This thing is causing enough trouble for enough people now. Maybe, just maybe they'll come and trap it NOW. They've refused recently. Sigh.

I would strongly caution you against filling the bear with birdshot just to make it leave your chickens alone. As I said before, a wounded bear is HIGHLY dangerous and is not going to discriminate between who shot it (you) and the next person it happens to run into. You could unleash a terror on your community that you will severely regret.

As a side note, shooting to wound may get you into trouble with the law, too. Here, the law says shoot to kill or don't shoot. Period.
Probably for the reason I mentioned above.

Last edited:
I would strongly caution you against filling the bear with birdshot just to make it leave your chickens alone. As I said before, a wounded bear is HIGHLY dangerous and is not going to discriminate between who shot it (you) and the next person it happens to run into. You could unleash a terror on your community that you will severely regret.

As a side note, shooting to wound may get you into trouble with the law, too. Here, the law says shoot to kill or don't shoot. Period.
Probably for the reason I mentioned above.

Point taken :)

If you go with electric fence hang some raw bacon on it, anything that goes for it will get a charge it will not soon forget, they may never go for bacon again either.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom