Black, Blue and Splash (BBS) Marans discussion thread

Pics

snowbird

Crowing
13 Years
May 28, 2010
Wolverine Country
I think it is time for the BBS Marans to have their own discussion thread. Post any BBS pictures and discuss them here. Info should be able to be found with it being in this thread. Look forward to seeing some discussion on the BBS Marans . Good breeding info is welcome also. Questions are welcome on this thread. All pictures that are posted should be open for Critique.

I ask all to remember when we say BBS it is for Black, Blue and splash. This does not mean Blue Copper, and Black Copper. The results are entirely different when using these Copper fowl in the BBS breedings.

Just to remind everyone that if you go to a show and someone is showing Black females and are not showing Black males be very cautious as the females are most likely uncolored Black Copper. I would never buy Black from anyone unless I could see a Black Male.

Everyone be prepared for the egg and chick sellers showing up now on BYC trying to sell their product. If you are buying from BYC try the regular posters that are here all year not just at laying season.

Last edited:
Just to remind everyone that if you go to a show and someone is showing Black females and are not showing Black males be very cautious as the females are most likely uncolored Black Copper. I would never buy Black from anyone unless I could see a Black Male.

Everyone be prepared for the egg and chick sellers showing up now on BYC trying to sell their product. If you are buying from BYC try the regular posters that are here all year not just at laying season.
Not to mention ebay lol.

I went out today to get some pics of my older black females. One is really huge but her leg feathering doesn't extend to her toe. The other has great shank/toe feathering but she isn't as big. Not a good day for photos due to me being sick and them wanting to dirt bathe lol. I will try again tomorrow.
Probably everyone is sick of me putting up my black male's pics. I like him but he does have his faults. However, he is nice (too nice) to the girls and is all black. I would get some updated pics of him but since he molted and lost his tail feathers, his girls have been pecking his feathers and his tail hasn't grown back in yet! He is sooo dumb he totally just lets them do it to him! I have upped the girls protein and calcium etc and they just keep on doing it. I might have to separate him for a while which I just hate to do right now because I also want fertile eggs. Perhaps make him a roo tutu/apron or something? lol.

I have 2 other solid blue males that aren't on my Marans photo album pics. I will go out tomorrow and try and get pics of them. One is the grandfather blue roo I started with. The other is a total butthead (mean) but I like his size. Both solid blue but have different looks to them. I lost my best blue rooster (father to my black roo) last year to a hawk.

Not to mention ebay lol.

I went out today to get some pics of my older black females. One is really huge but her leg feathering doesn't extend to her toe. The other has great shank/toe feathering but she isn't as big. Not a good day for photos due to me being sick and them wanting to dirt bathe lol. I will try again tomorrow.
Probably everyone is sick of me putting up my black male's pics. I like him but he does have his faults. However, he is nice (too nice) to the girls and is all black. I would get some updated pics of him but since he molted and lost his tail feathers, his girls have been pecking his feathers and his tail hasn't grown back in yet! He is sooo dumb he totally just lets them do it to him! I have upped the girls protein and calcium etc and they just keep on doing it. I might have to separate him for a while which I just hate to do right now because I also want fertile eggs. Perhaps make him a roo tutu/apron or something? lol.

I have 2 other solid blue males that aren't on my Marans photo album pics. I will go out tomorrow and try and get pics of them. One is the grandfather blue roo I started with. The other is a total butthead (mean) but I like his size. Both solid blue but have different looks to them. I lost my best blue rooster (father to my black roo) last year to a hawk.
It would be nice to get some pictures of your Black and your Blue here on the thread. I believe you have been working longer than most with the Blue and Black.

Here is my black roo, Black Bart (older pic). He has a huge comb and it has the double serration and it is not up off his head as much as it should be but at least no sprigs. I guess its a good pic of the comb you don't really want lol. He is larger now. He was not quite a year old in this pic, I think.
900x900px-LL-733652b6_BlackMaransroo.jpeg

This is his daughter Black Betty. She has recently started laying. She has nice dark reddish eggs. Her mother's eggs aren't that reddish and neither were the one the father came from but must be in the genetics somewhere. Her mother, Boots, is also black. For some reason she doesn't have as heavy shank feathering as her parents do.
900x900px-LL-2c0c5fbf_IMGP1656.jpeg

Here is my black roo, Black Bart (older pic). He has a huge comb and it has the double serration and it is not up off his head as much as it should be but at least no sprigs. I guess its a good pic of the comb you don't really want lol. He is larger now. He was not quite a year old in this pic, I think.
900x900px-LL-733652b6_BlackMaransroo.jpeg

This is his daughter Black Betty. She has recently started laying. She has nice dark reddish eggs. Her mother's eggs aren't that reddish and neither were the one the father came from but must be in the genetics somewhere. Her mother, Boots, is also black. For some reason she doesn't have as heavy shank feathering as her parents do.
900x900px-LL-2c0c5fbf_IMGP1656.jpeg
This Pullet has a nice tail angle and also nice color. The male looks good also, do not worry about the comb at this point in the game.

. A couple of blue pullets and one black pullet
The Blue pullets have some real width going on with the back, You need to pick a male to use over these that has a nice big and open tail. Do you notice the difference in the back of the Black and the two Blues ? Are the blues silver Blues ?

Two are silver blue and one is a darker blue. I used a darker blue rooster and the chicks are now 3 months and some very dark blue with great lacing. These pullets have an excellent size body. I had great times showing these last year,just didn't have enough competition.

Back
Top Bottom