Black, Blue and Splash (BBS) Marans discussion thread

Pics

snowbird

Crowing
13 Years
May 28, 2010
Wolverine Country
I think it is time for the BBS Marans to have their own discussion thread. Post any BBS pictures and discuss them here. Info should be able to be found with it being in this thread. Look forward to seeing some discussion on the BBS Marans . Good breeding info is welcome also. Questions are welcome on this thread. All pictures that are posted should be open for Critique.

I have three girls that I've been test mating that I bought from Anna when she had to sell out of her birds when she moved into the city. So far, I'd say I'm 95% certain they are solids as they are definitely solid based. I will test mate them again in the spring to be certain. I'm still on the hunt for a solid male, but have been doing some genetics reading and have a plan if I can't find a solid male, however, it will take me longer if I have to use my alternate plan.

very nice! I love their coloring!

Just to remind everyone that if you go to a show and someone is showing Black females and are not showing Black males be very cautious as the females are most likely uncolored Black Copper. I would never buy Black from anyone unless I could see a Black Male.

Everyone be prepared for the egg and chick sellers showing up now on BYC trying to sell their product. If you are buying from BYC try the regular posters that are here all year not just at laying season.

Last edited:
Well I guess I could post some of my older blue pics on here.

Here are some blue Marans chicks
900x900px-LL-a363c01c_blmaransbabies.jpeg

Some young males
900x900px-LL-eec8e3f1_blcocks.jpeg

One of the cockerals with good lacing.
900x900px-LL-9160968a_IMGP0368.jpeg

Older blue male
900x900px-LL-5cbe4060_IMGP1059.jpeg

900x900px-LL-336158ca_blueMaransroo.jpeg

900x900px-LL-e5f9275c_IMGP0822.jpeg

My original blue pullets are laying a 6. The younger offspring are at a very dark 7 , maybe even 8. They are like yours on the left. I love to enter egg shows,not just Marans eggs but all eggs. My feelings on showing are that once you feel
Like you have reached your goals breeding you need to get them out there and see what other opinions are. Of course you need competition,that's very hard to find up my way. Well,off to work,something you can relate to,pre- salting hospitals for the incoming snow.

I have three girls that I've been test mating that I bought from Anna when she had to sell out of her birds when she moved into the city. So far, I'd say I'm 95% certain they are solids as they are definitely solid based. I will test mate them again in the spring to be certain. I'm still on the hunt for a solid male, but have been doing some genetics reading and have a plan if I can't find a solid male, however, it will take me longer if I have to use my alternate plan.

what is a good way to improve size in general- keep the birds that are closest in weight to the SOP recommendations provided they are DQ free?
That's a good place to start yes, I've always found that being very selective with the females in particular will make the biggest difference. The females will weigh heavy in the type of the offspring. I notice a lot of people focus on the males in different breeds and are more lenient with the females, and that might be because they are perceived as the easier of the two to work with, and in some ways they are. What you will want to do is select your widest and best built females onto your largest male you've held back and do some test matings. I always tag mine separately so can watch their development, this will be my third year working on the females intensively and last year had several females that were bigger from hatch, clear until about 2 months of age, then the boys finally started passing them. Those same pullets are now some of my best stock, including Luella, she was almost twice the size of some of the cockerels at hatch. In fact, everyone in my family and friends that saw her when she was little all said cockerel. After about 4 or 5 days tho, I knew I had a pullet on my hands when she was growing some crazy wing feathers and had a tail already.
There are other tips to working on size, particularly if you are limited in your options, but size and type on females is an area where I won't compromise as narrow or smaller females can slow down progress quite a bit.

No chickers yet!!!!!!!!!!

But I peeked in them this morning and candled. Could see that they have pipped internally. Hopefully I see some pipping by the time I get home from work today.

Happy Friday Everyone!

Thanks Hens! And I hope that you get your 'bator fixed up so that we can see some fuzzy butts coming from you pretty soon!

We have 3 chicks from Ravens eggs and my one blue copper baby.

One of the babies from Raven is soooooooooo silver/blue, almost glowing, reminds me of a lavender coloration. The other 2 splash are tinged a yellowish color but I have seen this on lots of splash babies before. All have atleast 2-3 feather stubs on the leg or the outer toes. Will post photos later as the last 2 from Ravens eggs just hatched during the night so when they dry out completely I will snap some photos of them. They are very active and so stinkin' cute!

The other 2 eggs that came from Raven haven't done anything.....but one had that collapsed air cell and the other probably just couldn't make it.

I am happy as a clam with the ones that hatched!
yeah! Pink has babbies!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif

Thanks, we have the part DH just has to get it installed, we did start up our cooler incubator and have the eggs going in there- only about 52 instead of 82 this round. Started it up and it is holding temp very well.

Here is a picture that shows what we hatched about 4 weeks ago- if you look carefully you will see a couple Cuckoo Marans(4) in the group:

we also have these babies here too
big_smile.png
, they are about 2 weeks old- 16 total across 3 does
love.gif

ok back to Marans! opps fogot which thread I was reading
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom