Black, Blue and Splash (BBS) Marans discussion thread

My original blue pullets are laying a 6. The younger offspring are at a very dark 7 , maybe even 8. They are like yours on the left. I love to enter egg shows,not just Marans eggs but all eggs. My feelings on showing are that once you feel
Like you have reached your goals breeding you need to get them out there and see what other opinions are. Of course you need competition,that's very hard to find up my way. Well,off to work,something you can relate to,pre- salting hospitals for the incoming snow.

I have three girls that I've been test mating that I bought from Anna when she had to sell out of her birds when she moved into the city. So far, I'd say I'm 95% certain they are solids as they are definitely solid based. I will test mate them again in the spring to be certain. I'm still on the hunt for a solid male, but have been doing some genetics reading and have a plan if I can't find a solid male, however, it will take me longer if I have to use my alternate plan.

I have three girls that I've been test mating that I bought from Anna when she had to sell out of her birds when she moved into the city. So far, I'd say I'm 95% certain they are solids as they are definitely solid based. I will test mate them again in the spring to be certain. I'm still on the hunt for a solid male, but have been doing some genetics reading and have a plan if I can't find a solid male, however, it will take me longer if I have to use my alternate plan.

very nice! I love their coloring!

very nice! I love their coloring!
thanks lady. Still hoping to have luck getting the blues going as they are what I had originally tried to get my hands on at the beginning. By the way, we have no heat in the house til Tuesday. Long story, but as you can guess, I'm not pleased with the repair place at all. At least the temps are heading into the 40s for the next few days.

thanks lady. Still hoping to have luck getting the blues going as they are what I had originally tried to get my hands on at the beginning. By the way, we have no heat in the house til Tuesday. Long story, but as you can guess, I'm not pleased with the repair place at all. At least the temps are heading into the 40s for the next few days.
WOW! That seems like a long time to be without- guess it will be heat lamps all around
wink.png
. Lets hope that the temps stay up closer into the 40s for you. We had a dusting of snow- maybe 1/4" just enough that DH has to go out and clean off the city sidewalks at the rental units, shovel and brooms.

Last edited:
Anyone know when our Marans are going to make the C S U thread ? Well,I guess the blue wont make it,not in the book yet. Maybe they will get bored and need a good challenge.

I went out this evening and tried to get some pics of those other two blue roosters. They weren't being very cooperative so I will have to try again later. They both look terrible because they are molting and have been fighting lately. It was 69 F out this evening and they all think its spring.
Here is a pic of my oldest blue rooster. He is pushing 3 this year. He is a nice boy unlike the other one I have that I will put up next. I just noticed he has the longest spur on just one of his legs that I've ever seen on a Marans. I am going to have to get it off this weekend grrr.
LL

This is the only other blue roo I have. He is the biggest one and a major butthead. I don't know why he's so mean. He has always been spoiled. He is recovering from a raccoon attack because one night him and his blue brother wouldn't go into the coop and dh was running late for work and got disgusted with them so just locked the run door. I got home later and didn't know they were out there and in the middle of the night heard a bunch of ruckus. I went out there and found the brother of this guy half pulled through the fence and headless and this rooster (butthead) was bleeding from the head and a bunch of his head and hackle feathers pulled out. That was the one and only time he let me pick him up and carry him up to the house lol. The next day he was back to his butthead self. I guess he was too mean too die.
LL

This is the only other blue roo I have. He is the biggest one and a major butthead. I don't know why he's so mean. He has always been spoiled. He is recovering from a raccoon attack because one night him and his blue brother wouldn't go into the coop and dh was running late for work and got disgusted with them so just locked the run door. I got home later and didn't know they were out there and in the middle of the night heard a bunch of ruckus. I went out there and found the brother of this guy half pulled through the fence and headless and this rooster (butthead) was bleeding from the head and a bunch of his head and hackle feathers pulled out. That was the one and only time he let me pick him up and carry him up to the house lol. The next day he was back to his butthead self. I guess he was too mean too die.
LL
Both of these males sure have a lot of unwanted white feathers.

Back
Top Bottom