Black, Blue and Splash (BBS) Marans discussion thread

This is no good,I had to go back 4 pages to find our thread. If you were breeding blue Marans that you knew nothing of the past,how many gen. would you go to feel sure they are true. If you had no issues with 3 gen. would you be o k with that ?

This is no good,I had to go back 4 pages to find our thread. If you were breeding blue Marans that you knew nothing of the past,how many gen. would you go to feel sure they are true. If you had no issues with 3 gen. would you be o k with that ?
you can subscribe to the thread, whcih makes it super easy to find
big_smile.png

Are you able to do individaul test matings? That would be the quickest way to see what might pop up and then work from there but I'm not sure how many generations one would need to go- hopefully others will be able to give a more complete answer.

I have done it both ways,I have a couple pullets that are from an outside source so I breed them by themselves. My closed flock has had no other color issues for 3 gen. I have a new cockerel that will be going with all the blue Marans at the end of spring unless something pops up. Even though he is outside my flock I know his owner and both his parents and I don't expect a problem. But one never knows for sure.

I have done it both ways,I have a couple pullets that are from an outside source so I breed them by themselves. My closed flock has had no other color issues for 3 gen. I have a new cockerel that will be going with all the blue Marans at the end of spring unless something pops up. Even though he is outside my flock I know his owner and both his parents and I don't expect a problem. But one never knows for sure.
Given that there aren't specfic SOP guidelines to follow yet for these colors makes it harder to know just what will be written. Snowbird would maybe be the one to ask on this.

Yea,it's hard to figure. I just go by the s o p for black copper,color is different but I think body type and so on will be close. It's all I have to go by for now. I think combs,eye color,tail angle,most things are going to be about the same.

Yea,it's hard to figure. I just go by the s o p for black copper,color is different but I think body type and so on will be close. It's all I have to go by for now. I think combs,eye color,tail angle,most things are going to be about the same.
that might be your best bet for now, hoping that when the sop is written it follows so that all the work done isn't for nothing

Those are nice splash,I have a couple blue/birchen splash but they are too young to picture in my mind how they will look. Yours are very nice.

Got some pictures of my Splash
]

LOVELY!!!!!!!!! :love

Hopefully in about 23-24 days I will have some little fuzzy grandchickies to show you from your Splash beauties!
Thanks Becky! I am expecting them to show up tomorrow. My mail carrier is wonderful when it comes to eggs, I always let her know a couple days in advance......she's so worried about them on some of our back roads out here. I told her if the rough roads out here are the worst treatment they get while being in transit .....I will take it! :)

Back
Top Bottom