Black Copper Marans or Olive Eggers? Please help

SGH

Songster
5 Years
Jun 13, 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
Hi, I ordered Black Copper Marans and Olive Eggers in the same hatchery order, and I can not tell them apart. If anyone can help me, I’d so much appreciate it.

Hatch date of October 30th so 5 1/2 weeks right now.

To make matters worse, the chicks had a hard trip and I lost quite a few black chicks. Hatchery reshipped replacements of more Olive Eggers, so I don’t even know how many Marans I should have.

I asked hatchery for any assistance, and they said Olive Eggers should have yellow / slate legs while the Marans should have grey / slate legs.

“I” can’t see anything yellow. I see some pink / slate / black.

Also, I put the purple bands on a couple I thought were Marans… but now I’m wondering if I’m wrong 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_5331.jpeg
    IMG_5331.jpeg
    716.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5346.jpeg
    IMG_5346.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5323.jpeg
    IMG_5323.jpeg
    727.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5326.jpeg
    IMG_5326.jpeg
    819.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5324.jpeg
    IMG_5324.jpeg
    856.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5334.jpeg
    IMG_5334.jpeg
    741.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5343.jpeg
    IMG_5343.jpeg
    739.3 KB · Views: 75
Marans should have pink or slate legs. I think I can see beard feathers on at least one of the pictures. Marans won’t have fuzzy cheeks. Olive Eggers don’t necessarily need to have the beard feathers but it’s pretty common.
Edit to add
I can’t see all of the combs clearly enough but marans will have straight combs olive Eggers will likely have pea combs but straight is possible

Last edited:
I will try and get better pics of combs. If anyone sees one that looks like a copper maran, that is what I need to know.

Marans should have pink or slate legs. I think I can see beard feathers on at least one of the pictures. Marans won’t have fuzzy cheeks. Olive Eggers don’t necessarily need to have the beard feathers but it’s pretty common.
Edit to add
I can’t see all of the combs clearly enough but marans will have straight combs olive Eggers will likely have pea combs but straight is possible

Attachments

• IMG_5381.jpeg
    IMG_5381.jpeg
    572.4 KB · Views: 71
Hi, I ordered Black Copper Marans and Olive Eggers in the same hatchery order, and I can not tell them apart. If anyone can help me, I’d so much appreciate it.

Hatch date of October 30th so 5 1/2 weeks right now.

To make matters worse, the chicks had a hard trip and I lost quite a few black chicks. Hatchery reshipped replacements of more Olive Eggers, so I don’t even know how many Marans I should have.

I asked hatchery for any assistance, and they said Olive Eggers should have yellow / slate legs while the Marans should have grey / slate legs.

“I” can’t see anything yellow. I see some pink / slate / black.

Also, I put the purple bands on a couple I thought were Marans… but now I’m wondering if I’m wrong 🤷‍♀️
I have BCM's and OE's and EE's.........All of your black ones are the marans. The grey are your olive eggers, and the white one looks like my easter eggers but I suppose could be an OE.

I have BCM's and OE's and EE's.........All of your black ones are the marans. The grey are your olive eggers, and the white one looks like my easter eggers but I suppose could be an OE.
They are growing out and given the fluffy cheeks, I’m sure that most of the blacks were Olive Eggers. I believe the hatchery was using Black Copper Marans x Ameraucana crosses.

Attachments

• IMG_5949.jpeg
    IMG_5949.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 68
They are growing out and given the fluffy cheeks, I’m sure that most of the blacks were Olive Eggers. I believe the hatchery was using Black Copper Marans x Ameraucana crosses.
That mix should produce some very pretty eggs when the hens start laying!! I plan to breed my BCM roo with my OE and EE, and see the pretty egg colors I can get from those hens!

Back
Top Bottom