Black crested White Polish

its good to have you. I agree, this color has just grabbed my interest from the first day I heard of it.
I don't have much else to share right now, so unless I decide to share an article/website that talks about the variety, it'll be a bit of a while until I can do an update on my own flock.
That's ok. I have so many threads I'm watching lol. It can be a chore getting them all read when I miss a few days. I do love the history of the breeds and the varieties with in them.

These two links go to the same website; different pages on that website. Both showcase more BCW. These seem to be bantams though.
http://www.huehnerwelt.de/rassenazzwerg/zhollandhaube9.htm

http://www.huehnerwelt.de/rassenazzwerg/zhollandhaube17.htm

as for an update on my own flock; 3.75 months old, I am down to 9 after selling 2(wry tail and another male). They‘ve been hardier than I expected. Yes, I lost 8 in the first week, but that’s it. I’ve been told before that they are very fragile birds so i expected worse. I will probably try and divide up the flock or slim it down soon, because of the 9 i have now, I suspect I only have 3 pullets- meaning the males outnumber the pullets 2 to 1, and i don’t want anyone to get hurt when the boys start getting hormonal.

i have a decent selection of males to pick through, but that does not mean everybody is perfect. 2/3 of the pullets are very pretty though, in my opinion. below will be photos.

For note of the staining on their feathers; it was thunderstorming nearly daily, with maybe a day or two gap, for a week straight in my area. Hours long thunderstorms, a few times a day sometimes. I tried to keep their area dry, but there’s a leak in their roof, and some of the polish got a little gross. I don’t think this is a result of genetics, because the stains only showed up once the storms started getting bad. Time will tell though.

1st of the girls is the blue crested White. “Sonic”.
F0B92F3F-088F-4DB6-AD9D-595A66A7A6A9.jpeg
53C65D9B-F83B-45F5-82C7-0E57FCED18BA.jpeg

Below is pullet #2. She has a bigger crest amongst the group and i like how she holds her tail.
B4CA334B-0ECF-45BF-BFA6-3C827E5AAEA6.jpeg
96097B88-5CF4-422E-8567-7A29F87F28DA.jpeg

Then, the final girl, front and center. I haven’t paid much attention to her before now, but I’ll observe her closer. She’s fairly splotchy in color and has a very tiny crest, but for insurance purposes is staying.
25B35C3E-A9EE-4A3C-A2F9-C591C08E0812.jpeg

As for the males, I’ve yet to see sharp hackle/saddle feathers form on most. I’m assuming sex because they all have very loud and croaky voices, and do a little warbly screech whenever I pick them up(all also have some form of wattle pinkness).

this is the biggest of the bunch(front, to the right of the waterer)
I like that his tail is mostly white(a trait most lack) but he holds his tail very upright, and it’s a pretty stark definition between back and tail. This is the best photo I could grab today.. I can get better ones tomorrow. He hasn’t yet begun trying to challenge me, which is a relief.
ACC454EB-516A-4582-B98D-44045D6127DE.jpeg

This below is the other of which i originally thought to have the blue gene. (he?) has darkened a lot in color though. Again, my photography isn’t that great, but he’s also got a mostly white tail. His posture seems slightly better than the big boy‘s, but I may just have to stare at him harder tomorrow.. he’s a lot smaller, as well.
B9C73C01-461D-4D94-8861-A3B4DACB5DFB.jpeg

I have a lot of others. It gets hard to discern who’s who in the pen. At some point soon I’ll have to go through and look everyone over to decide who I prefer.

Attachments

• 06F84027-B964-4B16-9CEF-FE8272D9CE52.jpeg
    06F84027-B964-4B16-9CEF-FE8272D9CE52.jpeg
    800.5 KB · Views: 3
  • F4259E1F-A669-4B4E-976A-1EF5AF15FC45.jpeg
    F4259E1F-A669-4B4E-976A-1EF5AF15FC45.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 4
These two links go to the same website; different pages on that website. Both showcase more BCW. These seem to be bantams though.
http://www.huehnerwelt.de/rassenazzwerg/zhollandhaube9.htm

as for an update on my own flock; 3.75 months old, I am down to 9 after selling 2(wry tail and another male). They‘ve been hardier than I expected. Yes, I lost 8 in the first week, but that’s it. I’ve been told before that they are very fragile birds so i expected worse. I will probably try and divide up the flock or slim it down soon, because of the 9 i have now, I suspect I only have 3 pullets- meaning the males outnumber the pullets 2 to 1, and i don’t want anyone to get hurt when the boys start getting hormonal.

i have a decent selection of males to pick through, but that does not mean everybody is perfect. 2/3 of the pullets are very pretty though, in my opinion. below will be photos.

For note of the staining on their feathers; it was thunderstorming nearly daily, with maybe a day or two gap, for a week straight in my area. Hours long thunderstorms, a few times a day sometimes. I tried to keep their area dry, but there’s a leak in their roof, and some of the polish got a little gross. I don’t think this is a result of genetics, because the stains only showed up once the storms started getting bad. Time will tell though.

1st of the girls is the blue crested White. “Sonic”.View attachment 3524856View attachment 3524859
Below is pullet #2. She has a bigger crest amongst the group and i like how she holds her tail.View attachment 3524868View attachment 3524869
Then, the final girl, front and center. I haven’t paid much attention to her before now, but I’ll observe her closer. She’s fairly splotchy in color and has a very tiny crest, but for insurance purposes is staying.View attachment 3524848

As for the males, I’ve yet to see sharp hackle/saddle feathers form on most. I’m assuming sex because they all have very loud and croaky voices, and do a little warbly screech whenever I pick them up(all also have some form of wattle pinkness).

I like that his tail is mostly white(a trait most lack) but he holds his tail very upright, and it’s a pretty stark definition between back and tail. This is the best photo I could grab today.. I can get better ones tomorrow. He hasn’t yet begun trying to challenge me, which is a relief.View attachment 3524907
This below is the other of which i originally thought to have the blue gene. (he?) has darkened a lot in color though. Again, my photography isn’t that great, but he’s also got a mostly white tail. His posture seems slightly better than the big boy‘s, but I may just have to stare at him harder tomorrow.. he’s a lot smaller, as well.View attachment 3524908
I have a lot of others. It gets hard to discern who’s who in the pen. At some point soon I’ll have to go through and look everyone over to decide who I prefer.
Oh I'd love bantam versions of these!

1st of the girls is the blue crested White. “Sonic”.View attachment 3524856View attachment 3524859
Below is pullet #2. She has a bigger crest amongst the group and i like how she holds her tail.View attachment 3524868View attachment 3524869
Then, the final girl, front and center. I haven’t paid much attention to her before now, but I’ll observe her closer. She’s fairly splotchy in color and has a very tiny crest, but for insurance purposes is staying.View attachment 3524848

I like that his tail is mostly white(a trait most lack) but he holds his tail very upright, and it’s a pretty stark definition between back and tail. This is the best photo I could grab today.. I can get better ones tomorrow. He hasn’t yet begun trying to challenge me, which is a relief.View attachment 3524907
This below is the other of which i originally thought to have the blue gene. (he?) has darkened a lot in color though. Again, my photography isn’t that great, but he’s also got a mostly white tail. His posture seems slightly better than the big boy‘s, but I may just have to stare at him harder tomorrow.. he’s a lot smaller, as well.View attachment 3524908
I haven't had a chance to put the book into action yet but I recently got the book "Starting Where You Are With What You Have" by Ralph Sturgeon and the number of birds you have seems like it would fit well with his method since his initial breeding uses 3 separate males and 3 separate females, it might just be something to consider! Regardless I'm excited to see how your project progresses.

I had a reply typed and thought it had gone through, but it seems to have not, and been completely deleted. Shame. Moving on from that, I will try to retype it.

I haven't had a chance to put the book into action yet but I recently got the book "Starting Where You Are With What You Have" by Ralph Sturgeon and the number of birds you have seems like it would fit well with his method since his initial breeding uses 3 separate males and 3 separate females, it might just be something to consider! Regardless I'm excited to see how your project progresses.
I’ll probably go with that. I haven’t studied line breeding, spiral breeding, or any other breeding technique much-I’m only 2 or 3 years along in the trip of owning birds, so no pen has progressed enough to require line breeding and as of yet each pen has been set up with temporary groups in mind- but I’ll definitely be trying my hand at it with the polish. I intend to keep at least two polish, will be constructing two pens for breeding so I could likely have 3 rotating pairs between the big pen and the two smaller pens.
Also, is that novel the same as the one on the ABA website?
My phone is acting up and I wont have a new one till Saturday. So pictures after that.
Hopefully that went well? Whenever you’re able to grab photos of your spitzhauben cross, please share! I welcome any photos of others‘ birds.

edit: changed ’no’ to ‘not’.

I had a reply typed and thought it had gone through, but it seems to have not, and been completely deleted. Shame. Moving on from that, I will try to retype it.

I’ll probably go with that. I haven’t studied line breeding, spiral breeding, or any other breeding technique much-I’m only 2 or 3 years along in the trip of owning birds, so no pen has progressed enough to require line breeding and as of yet each pen has been set up with temporary groups in mind- but I’ll definitely be trying my hand at it with the polish. I intend to keep at least two polish, will be constructing two pens for breeding so I could likely have 3 rotating pairs between the big pen and the two smaller pens.
Also, is that novel the same as the one on the ABA website?

Hopefully that went well? Whenever you’re able to grab photos of your spitzhauben cross, please share! I welcome any photos of others‘ birds.

edit: changed ’no’ to ‘not’.
It is! That's where I ordered it from. It doesn't look like a lot when you get the book but there's a lot fit into it and I can see why it's recommended so much, it has a lot of great information.

Back
Top Bottom