Black crested White Polish

Pics
The birds that Clark Kidder imported in the early '90s bred true but had black in the hackles and breast. Before this I had noticed that Buff Silkies sometimes had dark under color in the crest but pale under color in the neck and body. I had already crossed those Silkies with silver Polish to see how that would look. Then I got some of Clark's imported birds. The first cross I made was mostly clean with laced crest. I am sure the genes that make a solid buff are compatible with BCW.

I'm going to stick to my Spitzhaubens, Ameraucanas, Orpingtons, Phoenix and EE bantam crosses(mixed pot).

Going to have enough trouble trying to create what I want down the road. 🥰
With everything you already have going on, I understand not wanting to take on even more. I'm at my limit right now- as in, I've banned myself from purchasing more breeds/taking on more breeding projects because I need the space for grow out & breeding pens for everything I've already got going on. I've even been trying to cut down lately 😅.

I've been shrinking my scope of projects.

Spitzhauben, I'm only doing pure Gold/Chamois spangled now.

Phoenix, I'm only doing pure on silvers.

Ameraucana, I'm only doing pure right now on lavender and blue. I still need to decide on just one. 😔

English Orpingtons, currently it's silver laced and soon to be Isabella laced/gold laced once I get the stock I purchased from Colt. I still need to choose just one.

Project pen is golden Phoenix, lavender Orpington, silver spangled Spitzhauben and blue Ameraucana.

Then there's the bantams. That's a hot mess. Lol.

If you look at the roo with the clean breast you will see how all the smut except for his tail was eliminated. Buff color has the genes to clean the black from the body and tail. If I can get that color on a polish bird that will be a big step forward. There is a gene or combination of genes that allow black crest on a buff bird. Buff can be changed to white if gold s+ is replaced by S silver.
You may have already answered this, but couldn’t you just use a buff laced polish to get the buff gene? That away you don’t have to bring in a whole new breed?

You may have already answered this, but couldn’t you just use a buff laced polish to get the buff gene? That away you don’t have to bring in a whole new breed?
I think he stated the issue was the buff laced is not the same as the solid buff. There for it doesn't have all the necessary genes to achieve what is desired.

Back
Top Bottom