Black crested White Polish

Pics
You may have already answered this, but couldn’t you just use a buff laced polish to get the buff gene? That away you don’t have to bring in a whole new breed?
Yeah, I wouldn’t use one for a BCW project. They don’t really have any benefits over Silver laced polish as an outcross, and have dominant white. Until you can get the dominant white out of the line, you’re just going to end up with solid white/buff with white birds. If you breed long enough though, you could likely get black crested buffs and white crested buffs(using the dominant white) out of that cross.

You may have already answered this, but couldn’t you just use a buff laced polish to get the buff gene? That away you don’t have to bring in a whole new breed?
Buff laced polish is Gold laced plus dominant white or maybe blue splash. So silver laced is the same except S silver replaces S+ gold. All of these are based on birchen on the E locus. My theory is ewh ( wheaten) is needed the make BCW. That gene is found in true buffs. Also they have Db and Co without Pg and Ml.

Well only if it is ewh ewh. But that does not get a Db gene that is not linked to Pg and Ml. I would assume buff Columbian is usually based on eb eb. I would not try this one.
Not sure the project color I found for Ameraucanas is based in ewh or not. But they are working on both light and buff columbian and they are looking good so far.

I might message them later to see what has gone into them.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that all Polish varieties in America were based on ER, birchen. White crested black maybe EE, extended black. But Polish have multiple malanziers so ER can make a solid black bird so to get the ewh, wheaten gene, in Polish we must go outside the breed. Well it's possible that the introduction of barring or mottling may have snuck a wheaten gene in the back door. So if candycorn or tolbunt or frizzle breeders ever see white or cream chicks that are not white then maybe wheaten has been introduced into the breed. But They are hard to recognize because of Co and Db effects on down color. My plan is to out cross because to find a polish with wheaten is a needle in a hay stack.

I *think* I have another pullet laying now.

Sonic; she’s been getting closer to maturity for a few weeks now, and regularly squatting. I had her separated for like two weeks but merged all of the polish back together a few days ago just for ease of feeding. Yesterday I forgot to collect eggs, and I assume my first laying pullet- Wendy- laid one, but she also could’ve easily laid that egg today. I really don’t know. Today, there were two eggs in their merged coop, in different corners of the coop. It could be that she laid both eggs, and Sonic isn’t really laying, but Wendy only lays one egg every two days, sometimes even up to three days, and I’d expect her to reuse the same nest.

It is what it is. I separated Sonic again. I’ll know in a day or two whether she’s actually laying.

Pictures just for the sake of pictures. Sonic is the pullet below, then there’s the boy.
888B5616-A26C-43E2-8340-6C13B078B2EE.jpeg
9C312206-2B29-4F28-9012-1A58F58E1F76.jpeg
7CF5F36B-2587-433B-B81B-05839AF2AFE2.jpeg

I *think* I have another pullet laying now.

Sonic; she’s been getting closer to maturity for a few weeks now, and regularly squatting. I had her separated for like two weeks but merged all of the polish back together a few days ago just for ease of feeding. Yesterday I forgot to collect eggs, and I assume my first laying pullet- Wendy- laid one, but she also could’ve easily laid that egg today. I really don’t know. Today, there were two eggs in their merged coop, in different corners of the coop. It could be that she laid both eggs, and Sonic isn’t really laying, but Wendy only lays one egg every two days, sometimes even up to three days, and I’d expect her to reuse the same nest.

It is what it is. I separated Sonic again. I’ll know in a day or two whether she’s actually laying.

Pictures just for the sake of pictures. Sonic is the pullet below, then there’s the boy.
View attachment 3662422View attachment 3662423View attachment 3662426
I know my girls always laid eggs like the right one, even ar a year. Made it possible to tell theirs from my buff laced hen

Back
Top Bottom