Black crested White Polish

Pics
The araucana test issue can easily be lessened by not breeding two tufted together. It's the homozygous gene that causes issues
I think the short legged ones can be done that way as well. I just don't get breeding for those traits when they cause problems. I'm that way about frizzle as well. And some intentualy breed the two together. 🤦‍♀️

I think the short legged ones can be done that way as well. I just don't get breeding for those traits when they cause problems. I'm that way about frizzle as well. And some intentualy breed the two together. 🤦‍♀️
I’m with you on those points. About frizzles, I’ve seen people admit to purposely breeding frazzles to “get a better curl.” It’s infuriating, something I feel especially because I own a frazzle. She absolutely can not function like a normal chicken, between the feather loss and complete inability to fly.
I don’t get why people would purposefully breed more of those. Breeding a heterozygous bird to one without the gene gives the same exact statistic of gene-carriers anyways, since all of these lethal or semi-lethal genes you brought up are dominant.
@I Like Turkeys, I don’t know if your polish are beaded, watch out for scissor beak if they are. :)
BCW are non-bearded, and i intend to keep it that way. A lot of breeders will bring beards in because they look nice, but BCW aren’t recognized as a bearded variety, so I don’t see the point. Beards also make polish harder to sex. Since their combs are so small, I rely on the visible wattles to see when a pullet is maturing, and see whether any cockerels are beginning to show themselves. Not something I want to lose. I’m definitely watching out for defects and deformities though.

I’m with you on those points. About frizzles, I’ve seen people admit to purposely breeding frazzles to “get a better curl.” It’s infuriating, something I feel especially because I own a frazzle. She absolutely can not function like a normal chicken, between the feather loss and complete inability to fly.
I don’t get why people would purposefully breed more of those. Breeding a heterozygous bird to one without the gene gives the same exact statistic of gene-carriers anyways, since all of these lethal or semi-lethal genes you brought up are dominant.

BCW are non-bearded, and i intend to keep it that way. A lot of breeders will bring beards in because they look nice, but BCW aren’t recognized as a bearded variety, so I don’t see the point. Beards also make polish harder to sex. Since their combs are so small, I rely on the visible wattles to see when a pullet is maturing, and see whether any cockerels are beginning to show themselves. Not something I want to lose. I’m definitely watching out for defects and deformities though.
I'm not a huge fan of bearded polish. My buff laced was adorable bearded, but she's the only one I ever had that had a beard. Everyone else was/nonbearded. They're derpy enough, they don't need even more blind spots. My male makes my silkie male, David, look like Einstein, which is incredibly far from the truth

Sorry @I Like Turkeys if I’m high jacking your tread with the scissor beak
Is the beard gene some how linked with the cross beak issue?
Yes. I did some research on scissor beak. I had several chick get it in my Brown Red Mottled D’Uccles project and was wondering why. Here is the website and a summary of what I found. Also have this posted in my thread.
According to https://onceuponachicken.com/is-cross-beak-genetic/
  • There are two types of scissor beak inheritable and Non- inheritable.
  • Inheritable is noticeable when the chicks get older
  • Non-inheritable is when the chick hatches out with the deformity. Caused by temperature being two high during incubation.
  • Birds with beards or crest are more prone to getting scissor beak
  • “cross beak appears to display some kind of complex recessive inheritance.” Breeding two parents with scissor beak can produce normal chicks.
  • Can cause eye deformities
  • May have something to do with bone protein
  • Sigrid Van Dort says a bird with scissor beak can be used it a breeding program but bc it it a recessive gene it could pop up in future generations.

Good question. I've never had a breaded bird with cross beak. But have had nonbearded ones.
I’ve only ever had bearded birds show crossbeak. 4 so far. 2 in my Easter eggers, whom I suspect to simply carry the genes for beak deformities, and 2 of my bantam ameraucanas. Whether that was genetics or an incubator mishap, i Don’t know.
Sorry @I Like Turkeys if I’m high jacking your tread with the scissor beak

Yes. I did some research on scissor beak. I had several chick get it in my Brown Red Mottled D’Uccles project and was wondering why. Here is the website and a summary of what I found. Also have this posted in my thread.
According to https://onceuponachicken.com/is-cross-beak-genetic/
  • There are two types of scissor beak inheritable and Non- inheritable.
  • Inheritable is noticeable when the chicks get older
  • Non-inheritable is when the chick hatches out with the deformity. Caused by temperature being two high during incubation.
  • Birds with beards or crest are more prone to getting scissor beak
  • “cross beak appears to display some kind of complex recessive inheritance.” Breeding two parents with scissor beak can produce normal chicks.
  • Can cause eye deformities
  • May have something to do with bone protein
  • Sigrid Van Dort says a bird with scissor beak can be used it a breeding program but bc it it a recessive gene it could pop up in future generations.
I don’t mind. You explained it better than I could. My understanding of the topic boiled down to “beards don’t cause crossbeak, but bearded birds are just a bit more likely to show crossbeak than a non bearded bird.”

Back
Top Bottom