black hen with age-related vlitigo or a swedish flower hen??

greenback

Chirping
Jan 10, 2024
here’s my sweetie Celeste, she’s a very sweet and mellow temperament ~2 yo hen.
we got her about a year ago and since she has started to molt she has an insane amount of white compared to a year ago. See photos :)
does she have vlitigo or is she a swedish flower hen or some other breed??

currently
IMG_1270.jpeg

before
IMG_9110.jpeg

here’s my sweetie Celeste, she’s a very sweet and mellow temperament ~2 yo hen.
we got her about a year ago and since she has started to molt she has an insane amount of white compared to a year ago. See photos :)
does she have vlitigo or is she a swedish flower hen or some other breed??

currently
View attachment 3723801

before
View attachment 3723802
Was she solid black before this? Before, the before picture?

I have a project/experiment I'm doing with color changing chickens.

is she a swedish flower hen or some other breed??
My SFH hybrids show more white mottles with each moult, so she could be that. My pure SFH, by contrast, seem to grow a little more black splatter with each moult.

edited to add: what colour are her eggs? SFH are tinted.

@MysteryChicken
No, I don‘t believe so.
I got her as a ~1 year old laying hen in a flock of about 200 maybe?
Don‘t know a whole lot about her.
Could possibly ask the previous owner, too be certain?

I got my original hen from hatching eggs from a person who has no history of this happening in their flocks. They've got lots of birds as well.

Here's one of my hens, before, & after pictures.

Mother: Smarty Pants.
2020: Before
20201202_143401.jpg
2022: Before 20221011_180548.jpg 2023: After
20221231_122817.jpg
20221231_122850.jpg
Continued
20230219_230354.jpg
2024: Now
20240106_112941.jpg

Looks pretty typical of the presentation of vitiligo. Loss of pigment not only in the feathers but in the eyes and skin as well from what I can see in those pictures. She's about the age where I've seen most cases trigger, too. Were her shanks the same color before or were they darker?

Vitiligo is a polygenic trait, so you could have a flock breeding and producing birds for generations and never once see it. It takes just the right combination of genes being inherited, along with the 'trigger' function, to express, so it's pretty rare and complicated to breed for.

Birds with mottling can get more and more white after each molt over time, but her before picture doesn't look like typical mottling, and the change seems a bit too drastic for one molt if it was whitening due to mottling, at least in my opinion. The difference from one molt to another tends to be pretty gradual with mottling.

Back
Top Bottom