black oil sunflower seeds with shells on?

It helps to remember that chickens eat grit and pebbles . . . there's not a lot that's going to be too hard on the chicken's lining.

I bought some BOSS for my chickens... and I never have seen them eat them, but they sure do disappear!!
smile.png
I think that they like them.

My plan is to give my hens the whole sunflower and let them pick at it. They get 16% crumbles regularly.
Do they need grit?

this is off subject but what a beautiful coop you have!did you build it yourself?(in reference to nuthatchknoll chicken coop)how do you heat it?

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I scattered some BOSS for my chickens and they ignore it. I tried putting it into their feed (crumbles) and they don't think much of that either. The only other thing I feed them is scraps. Will they just get it eventually if I mix it in their crumbles?

I jut bought a bag of Boss yesterday and I plan on giving it to my girls today. They have never had any before so I am hoping they like it and will eat it.
fl.gif

first time I offered it, they seemed a little leery, but they quickly warmed up to it. . .
they LOVE their daily treat of BOSS. . . horse gets some too. It's good for them.
the oils and protein in them makes for pretty, healthy birds.

I give boss to my ladies, that and mealworms. And lots of weeds and bugs, they barely touch their layer feed. sometimes they seem to prefer them semi sprouted or soaked with shells on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom