Black sex link?

Dragonfly75

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
A-town, TX
My mom bought these for me and doesn't remember what breed they are. I just bought 8 black sex link pullets and they kind of look like these two did when they were small. But they also could be Austrolops I think. Could any of you experts share your expertise?
Thanks in advance!

My mom bought these for me and doesn't remember what breed they are. I just bought 8 black sex link pullets and they kind of look like these two did when they were small. But they also could be Austrolops I think. Could any of you experts share your expertise?
Thanks in advance!
Is there red speckles on their chest?

They look like Australorps - at least the bird in front does. Is that silver in the hackles of the back bird or is that just a photographic anomaly? If her neck feathers are black, she too is an Australorp.

They look like Australorps - at least the bird in front does.  Is that silver in the hackles of the back bird or is that just a photographic anomaly?  If her neck feathers are black, she too is an Australorp.

It is just a photographic anomaly. Both girls are almost identical. I thought they might be Austrolorps from the pictures I have seen, but I knew someone on this page could tell for sure! Thanks!

They are definitely not Black Sex Links (no reddish feathers in the neck area), nor Minorcas (no white ear lobes), but to me, they they look a little too long in the body and tail to be Black Australorps. Do any other BYC members out there have any other ideas?

Drop a PM to TwoCrows and ask her to take a look at this thread. She is an Australorp lady. I agree with Michael OShay about the body type, but I think that Australorp pullets may take a while to 'fill out'.

Drop a PM to TwoCrows and ask her to take a look at this thread. She is an Australorp lady. I agree with Michael OShay about the body type, but I think that Australorp pullets may take a while to 'fill out'.

Maybe my memory is going due to my age (actually, there's nothing wrong with my memory, it's just short), but I've raised lots of Black Australorp hens and I don't recall any of them, even when they were young, being quite that long in the body and tail. TwoCrows is a good member to ask though.

Maybe my memory is going due to my age (actually, there's nothing wrong with my memory, it's just short), but I've raised lots of Black Australorp hens and I don't recall any of them, even when they were young, being quite that long in the body and tail.  TwoCrows is a good member to ask though.

Thanks for your input! I sent her a message!

Back
Top Bottom