Wing sexing...

Mar 30, 2024
I just went to TSC and I bought a black sex link out of one of their bins that was full of only females... I also bought three americanas, the limit on buying chickens at tractor supply is four chickens so I had no choice... But what my issue is? Is that the black sex link? I've checked the wing and it's not a female. It's a male out of the americanos. I've got two females and one male. I'm really good at figuring out males from females with their wings, but I was recently told that that doesn't matter depending on the breed. Can you tell the sex from the wings of a black sex link and americanas? Or is somebody just pulling my leg and giving me poop information... I've never had any issues sexing my chickens by their wings. I'm just questioning myself based off of something that was said to me

This is how I am able to tell the difference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240331-115418.png
    Screenshot_20240331-115418.png
    1 MB · Views: 21
Black sex links can be sexed at birth by color. Males will have white spots on the backs of their heads like barred rocks. Females will not.

As far as I know, wing sexing only works in specific hybrids that have been bred for that trait, such as Amberlinks. So Americanas will need to be sexed later on, when other traits like comb size and coloring come into play. 6 weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom