HELP IDENTIFYING AND SEXING CHICKS

Pics

The Five O

Chirping
Apr 1, 2024
Hey guys new to the chicken world seeking some of your opinions. I purchased a few chicks from a local tractor supply here in Connecticut. (Probably first mistake) and come to find out what I thought I purchased is most likely not accurate.

In one box they had Americana (Easter eggers) and Prarie Bluebell together. I want colorful eggs blue and green so I was ok with either one but Non of these were sex linked all straight runs.

I figured I’d take 4 prarie blue bells and then disregard the Easter eggers and grab a starlight green egger along with sapphire olive eggers for my colored eggs.

The worker gave me 4 prarie blue bells which i believe are all Easter eggers.

I also took a Sapphire Gem which was apparently sex linked pullets.

I will first post the 4 Americana or prairie blue bells and get your advice on breed an sex along with the sapphire gem.

Thank you in advance ! Ps the chicks pictured are all around 5-6 weeks old.

Attachments

• IMG_7218.jpeg
    IMG_7218.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_7215.jpeg
    IMG_7215.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7216.jpeg
    IMG_7216.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7220.jpeg
    IMG_7220.jpeg
    554 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7222.jpeg
    IMG_7222.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7219.jpeg
    IMG_7219.jpeg
    405 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7229.jpeg
    IMG_7229.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7230.jpeg
    IMG_7230.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7227.jpeg
    IMG_7227.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7231.jpeg
    IMG_7231.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7234.jpeg
    IMG_7234.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7235.jpeg
    IMG_7235.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7226.jpeg
    IMG_7226.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7224.jpeg
    IMG_7224.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7223.jpeg
    IMG_7223.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7225.jpeg
    IMG_7225.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Chick #1: EE cockerel? (Comb looks red)
Chick #2: EE pullet
Chick#3: EE pullet
Chick#4: EE pullet? (Comb looks a little wide, but other than that, it looks pullet.)
Chick #5: Sapphire Gem cockerel

:welcome Welcome to BYC ! All of those are Hoovers mixes, so take a look on their website for pictures to compare. You can even open a chat window with them if you want. The last chick, is a cockeral. Hope that works for you....

Chick#4: EE pullet? (Comb looks a little wide, but other than that, it looks pullet.)
Thank you for replying ! I thought the sapphire gem was a male although they were suppose to be all sex linked … but the large comb already had me confused .

EE's look to be all pullets, but watch #1, color pattern look female but I'd like to see it in a couple of weeks to see any changes.
Last is certainly a cockerel, little doubts about him!
Pretty chickens though!

EE's look to be all pullets, but watch #1, color pattern look female but I'd like to see it in a couple of weeks to see any changes.
Last is certainly a cockerel, little doubts about him!
Pretty chickens though!
Wow all good news from here ! I thought you guys would’ve said 1 and 2 were cockerels bc they have that deep red color coming through on the wings. The smallest one of all is the black and brown who developed her tail feather first. I thought the other 3 were going to all be males . But thank you !

#1 - Might be a pullet, but looks more like a cockerel because of the spots of red leakage and what appears to be pointed hackles coming in, plus an early reddening comb.

#2 - Looks like a pullet, may be a cockerel because I also see red leakage on the wing and pointed feathers.

#3 - Pullet.

#4 - Pullet.

#5 - Cockerel for sure.

Overall, you have one cockerel and two chicks that are starting to look like cockerels.

#1 - Might be a pullet, but looks more like a cockerel because of the spots of red leakage and what appears to be pointed hackles coming in, plus an early reddening comb.

#2 - Looks like a pullet, may be a cockerel because I also see red leakage on the wing and pointed feathers.

#3 - Pullet.

#4 - Pullet.

#5 - Cockerel for sure.

Overall, you have one cockerel and two chicks that are starting to look like cockerels.
Thank you for the feedback ! Just going to hope #2 ends up being a hen 🤞🏼

Back
Top Bottom