Black Soldier Fly Larva

codewarrior65

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
Holliday, MO
Hello all,

Been awhile since I been on here. Started a compost bin/trap in hopes of luring some BSF. Today I saw an adult near the bin. I installed some corrugated cardboard in hopes of gathering eggs, there are several large larva (I won't say the m word) in the bin. I need to construct a better method for them to migrate out when they become old enough. I will post pictures when I can. Sort of a learn as you go project right now. I have found that bananas, coffee grounds, and well just plain food garbage seems to be the best way to attract them. Thoughts and ideas appreciated. It is late in the season so I don't expect to produce a lot. I hear they are excellent chicken feed.

Hello all,

Been awhile since I been on here. Started a compost bin/trap in hopes of luring some BSF. Today I saw an adult near the bin. I installed some corrugated cardboard in hopes of gathering eggs, there are several large larva (I won't say the m word) in the bin. I need to construct a better method for them to migrate out when they become old enough. I will post pictures when I can. Sort of a learn as you go project right now. I have found that bananas, coffee grounds, and well just plain food garbage seems to be the best way to attract them. Thoughts and ideas appreciated. It is late in the season so I don't expect to produce a lot. I hear they are excellent chicken feed.
mine didn't want to eat the larva, saw a bunch squirming around when I let the chickens out and they walked right by....any tips to get them to eat them, they also avoid the red worms, are they are missing a good source of protein or not?

Back
Top Bottom