Black Spots on My Chickens Comb

Karen711

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
Sechelt, B.C.
I have seven chickens and two have black spots on their combs. If it's pox is it serious?? Or is there something I should do?? First time chicken owner and this is second issue I have had. I posted the other one as well but hoping for some info about this too please.
Any info is sooooo appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like Dry Fowl Pox.

Dry Fowl Pox is a viral disease and there are no effective treatments for viral diseases, especially viral diseases in chickens.

Dry Fowl Pox is usually not fatal.

However it will stay in the chickens' body for as long as that chicken lives.

if you are serious about the health of your birds, in the future you may want to look into vaccinating your birds.

Eliminating mosquito breeding habitats may also help.

Sounds like Dry Fowl Pox.

Dry Fowl Pox is a viral disease and there are no effective treatments for viral diseases, especially viral diseases in chickens.

Dry Fowl Pox is usually not fatal.

However it will stay in the chickens' body for as long as that chicken lives.

if you are serious about the health of your birds, in the future you may want to look into vaccinating your birds.

Eliminating mosquito breeding habitats may also help. 

I read that dry pox starts with white yellowish spots these did not. Just appeared and were black. Thankyou for answering. I will research it more :)

I have seven chickens and two have black spots on their combs. If it's pox is it serious?? Or is there something I should do?? First time chicken owner and this is second issue I have had. I posted the other one as well but hoping for some info about this too please.
Any info is sooooo appreciated. Thanks

Whoa.. Whoa.. Whoa. Pox?!
1f633.png
Na. They're scabs. Your chickens have been bickering and as the wounds heal on their combs and waddles they form black scabs and go away. Here's a pic of Oreo, she has two left over from her last scrap. And she absolutely doesn't have pox! Your chicken will be fine.
263a.png

Can you post a pic? It could be just from peeking. It would help to see it.
X2!!

I agree with @rIrs roost a photos would be very helpful, without seeing what you see, no one can make a determination as to what it is.
Could be pecking or could be dry pox.

FWIW there are two forms of Fowl Pox - Dry Fowl Pox and Wet Fowl Pox. Wet Pox would be like lesions, where Dry Pox would be more like black scabs.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

my rooster and two hens have these black spots. Is it deadly/contagious to them or to humans? Is it possible to prevent it from spreading? Please help. First time I've experienced this.

Back
Top Bottom