Black Spots on my Chicks combs

corty13tx

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
We are located in Kingwood, TX and just are coming out of Hurricane Harvey. We tried to keep our chicks as dry as possible, but with over 40" inches of rain, it was hard! We covered their coop with a tarp and tried putting new hay and pine shavings in the bottom of the coop and nesting boxes as often as we could, but there was just still water everywhere. The chicks were not too excited about all of this as you can imagine. Amazingly enough, egg production didn't drop too bad. However, several of them have developed these black spots on their crowns. One of them looks really bad. They are all eating fine and aren't acting lethargic or anything. Just these spots. I am assuming from my research this is Fowl Pox. My question is, do they have to be separated from my other hens? Over half of them have these spots (6 or 7 out of my 10) . And the one that it looks like it has eye involvement, can we take care of that ourselves or do we need to take her to a vet? Thanks in advance for the help!
IMG_6169.jpg IMG_6170.jpg IMG_6172.jpg

Back
Top Bottom