Black spots on newly hatched chick

What kind of chick is it? It seems to me like it's a result of high melanin levels in the chick's skin/feather buds but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere!

Don’t know where we are all with this issue, but I am adding my chicks. I have had three now. They all come from my Olive eggs. Mom is a cross between BCM and Crested Cream Legbar. Wondering if it isn’t a breed thing. All chicks are black that have this. My other chicks from the Olive eggs did not have this and not all chicks from my Olive eggs have this. Both of the ones that had this only had it on their heads, so I assumed they would probably get the crest top head, but now I am seeing it on the entire body with this chick. Interested to learn more about it.

Attachments

• IMG_9543.jpeg
    IMG_9543.jpeg
    957.5 KB · Views: 8
Probably not way helpful, but here is another thread with the same thing (I think) going on. Also an older thread. Curious myself what causes this.

@ChickyMudder and @artbykarenehaley look like active members still from that other thread. Maybe they can share what their chicks’ feathers grew out like?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom