Black wattles and beak

Loka

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2022
My five month old rooster has black waffles n it seems to e migrating to his beak. Understand possible frost bite but we live in Tampa area in FL. Guineas peek at his waffles.

It most likely is blood and comb injuries, but please post some pictures. Chickens will run off another one who may injure themselves by running into fencing or chickenwire. Frostbite usually happens with temperatures close to zero F. Does his beak look cracked or injured?

It most likely is blood and comb injuries, but please post some pictures. Chickens will run off another one who may injure themselves by running into fencing or chickenwire. Frostbite usually happens with temperatures close to zero F. Does his beak look cracked or injured?
Everything you said, and also:
Chickens' combs can bleed from very small wounds obtained from getting pecked, scratched, or scraped. I would gently brush the comb with a soft toothbrush soakee in hydrogen peroxide to see if the stuff comes off. Someone else had a similar issue recently. I will add the link to the thread.

Everything you said, and also:
Chickens' combs can bleed from very small wounds obtained from getting pecked, scratched, or scraped. I would gently brush the comb with a soft toothbrush soakee in hydrogen peroxide to see if the stuff comes off. Someone else had a similar issue recently. I will add the link to the thread.
Thread 'One eyed banty Rooster attacked, now combs black' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/one-eyed-banty-rooster-attacked-now-combs-black.1556581/

Back
Top Bottom