Black Widows

Quote:
Oh. My. Word. One spider bite? Unbelieveable. It's back to the heebeejeebee's for me.

Mom 2 Em:

Judging by the amount of tissue damage that looks more like a brown recluse bite. They are more so known to climb into clothing. They are somewhat nastier than the Widow. In South Carolina I see more of them and at times carrying off a Widow as food.

I'm more concerned about spreading around a lot of poisons than the spiders. Some people can have severe reactions to poisons that are spread liberally.

For your heebee jeebees! In Union SC a house was being built slowly and a large mulch pile was put into place to level off the land. What happened was that mulch pile sat for a year. When it was spread out at the home it appeared that an unusual amount of Black Widows had nested in it. The construction crew assumed that they would disperse upon losing their home. The owners fled the house after having exterminators run screaming from the place after checking the attic and seeing 1000's. They reported that often spiders would fall through the light fixtures and come out of the AC vents. The home owners abandoned not only the house but also everything they brought except photos.

The whole house had to be tented and upon checking the results they found over 100,000 black widows (I'd hate to have that job as the spider counter). It was speculated that since there was a lot of construction going on in the area that all the Black Widows in the area fled to the only safe and dark haven and multiplied heavily from all the other insects inside the mulch.

Last edited:
Acccckkkk! I would abandon my house too!

Black widow or brown recluse- I don't know. All I know is it felt like someone broke my arm. Instantly. Could have been either. Our isolation gowns are folded and stacked on a dark shelf in a cabinet...no telling how long the one I put on had been there. Also, I am very allergic to wasp/bee stings: the tissue just bubbles up and dies wherever their venom goes. I figure the same for a spider bite...regardless, the experience has made me terrified of spiders.

Had a spider on my CEILING of my BEDROOM...looked up and yelled for my husband to "GET IT GET IT GET IT..."
Dumb human...grabbed his hat and whacked it and it came sailing my direction...then we couldnt find it. Well, I felt it all over me...I had a serious case of the cooties and had to get in the shower and scrub my hair... (after I danced all over the bedroom) shake out the bed sheets...laid back down, and then spotted it crawling up the wall...

Its all healed now. That was the 4th of July- now I just have a huge scar that is discolored around it, like a bruise. I figured the discoloring is never going to go away. Maybe after a year has passed, I will get a tattoo to cover it...however, then I would have to cover it every day for work.

Wow! Having worked in the ER I have seen a few bites...that looks like BR rather than BW...at any rate you will most likely have a discolored scar there...
I have a softball sized hematoma above my R ankle (inside) that I am going to have covered with a tat....better than spending $100s to have laser surgery....I am thinking of something lacy so that the color of the scar shows through.....
anyway...good luck and use Diatomaceous Earth everywhere (just don't breathe it!!)

OMG..........I swear i am going to feel spiders on me all day now. I NEVER should have read this. I am so disgusted by spiders and i should have known better than to do this!!! Why are we drawn to things we know we cannot handle???? Its a good thing i am getting my new baby bunny in 30 minutes
smile.png
......it might distract my brain
roll.png

IMO, that looks like a brown recluse bite. They seem to cause SO MUCH more necrosis than the Black Widows. My friend got bit in the middle of his back, after it healed, he got a brown recluse tattoo next to it. Eliminating their food source and hiding places is a must. There are tons of natural ways to deal with insect populations, everything from praying mantids to lady bugs to guineas.
Dealing with these sort of issues rarely seems relevant until after you've been bit. Hopefully we can learn from others' painful experiences.

Back
Top Bottom