Blackhead Disease Monterey County?

Blackhead (histomoniasis) references

Histomoniasis: Yellow Urate & Lethargy in Poult...

I am not aware of any such study and would be very leery of such claims.

You can check with any local veterinarians as well as your state veterinarian. If you have a local feed store (not a chain feed store) they will know which of their customers raise turkeys and may be able to put you in touch with them.

Your Bronze poult is most likely a Broad Breasted Bronze meant to be harvested by the time it is 6 months old. If not fed properly at this stage it can develop leg problems such as slipped tendon aka perosis.

@casportpony
What does perosis look like? Would it be obvious? My poult walks around fine and runs/flies at times. It's legs are smallish compared to its body, but it does not have an issue walking. I switched it to a 30% gamebird starter last night and it's already in a pretty large brooder for just it and the 2 chicks, but I have another one coming today that is 72" long, so hoping it can get more exercise running around.

What does perosis look like? Would it be obvious? My poult walks around fine and runs/flies at times. It's legs are smallish compared to its body, but it does not have an issue walking. I switched it to a 30% gamebird starter last night and it's already in a pretty large brooder for just it and the 2 chicks, but I have another one coming today that is 72" long, so hoping it can get more exercise running around.
Perosis aka slipped tendon may look like an enlarged hock. Many mistake it for spraddle leg because the leg won't be straight but bent out to the side. You can verify it by palpation. You can feel that the tendon is not in its groove.

From your description, your poult does not have perosis.

O
Perosis aka slipped tendon may look like an enlarged hock. Many mistake it for spraddle leg because the leg won't be straight but bent out to the side. You can verify it by palpation. You can feel that the tendon is not in its groove.

From your description, your poult does not have perosis.
Thank you so much for the information!!

Hello,
I know where you live (not in a creepy way! rather, I am familiar with your area). I don't think blackhead is common here, because there are tons of wild turkeys mingling with backyard chicken flocks and the turkeys do not appear to be dropping dead. I did lose a lot of younger turkeys and quail to coccidiosis when I had them, so I would keep an eye out for that.

Back
Top Bottom