Turkey, Chicken and GuineaFowl together?

Apr 28, 2021
Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
Tried to throw a captivating title to get some answers but will explain more:

Our chickens have their own coop.
Our guinea fowl have their own coop.

My husband wants to put the turkeys in a brooder in the guineafowl coop and then have that be a shared coop for the two. There are only 8 guinea in a massive coop (16x6x8) so there is room for extra bodies.

However I’m EXTREMELY anxious about blackhead disease. All our flock free range - chickens, guinea, goats, errbody is out and about on unrestricted land.

Should the turkey have their own coop?
Can they all free range together?

I like to think my flock is very healthy, we hardly ever have any issues with them that aren’t genetic and those are rare too.

We’re looking to sell the turkey around 9months for profit and maybe keep some for eggs.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Tried to throw a captivating title to get some answers but will explain more:

Our chickens have their own coop.
Our guinea fowl have their own coop.

My husband wants to put the turkeys in a brooder in the guineafowl coop and then have that be a shared coop for the two. There are only 8 guinea in a massive coop (16x6x8) so there is room for extra bodies.

However I’m EXTREMELY anxious about blackhead disease. All our flock free range - chickens, guinea, goats, everybody is out and about on unrestricted land.

Should the turkey have their own coop?
Can they all free range together?

I like to think my flock is very healthy, we hardly ever have any issues with them that aren’t genetic and those are rare too.

We’re looking to sell the turkey around 9months for profit and maybe keep some for eggs.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Do not brood the turkeys with anything but turkeys. Turkeys imprint very easily. It is best if they do not get imprinted for their benefit and the benefit of the other poultry.

I brooded my guineas only with guineas and kept them in their own coop.

Blackhead is not a problem here. My adult turkeys share the coop with the chickens during the day and roost outside at night on their roosts which are sheltered from the prevailing wind.

If blackhead is a problem in your area, you do not want the turkeys even free ranging on the same ground that chickens are on.

If you want to make a profit selling turkeys, sell them as day old poults. The minute you start feeding them, is when you start losing money on them.

It is highly unlikely that you can raise turkeys to 9 months and make a profit on them.

Back
Top Bottom