Blackjack 57 Consider Silicone Based?

BeechBum

Hatching
Jul 6, 2017
The manufacturer does not recommend for use around livestock due to the petroleum chemical makeup. However they do offer a silicone based product. At Lowes it is called Blackjack Silicone Waterproofing Coating. At Home Depot or Amazon it is called Eterna-kote.

There is your answer, short and sweet.

Last edited:
Wow, the silicone stuff is really expensive.

I was thinking whitewash the interior except for Blackjack on the floor. But it does make sense to avoid asphalt if there is a reasonable alternative. Maybe whitewash the floor too? I was thinking it isn't waterproof but lately I've been realizing it is a lot more waterproof than I thought it was. It should work in a properly ventilated coop with deep litter.

The manufacturer does not recommend for use around livestock due to the petroleum chemical makeup.
I personally have friction fitted vinyl flooring (which is petroleum based) on my coop floor that I am very happy with. I know black jack is used by a good portion of BYCers on this site with no complaints and plenty of recommendations.

I will go with experience over possible "Fake News."

I grew up with a mother that smoked through pregnancy, had the occasion beer or glass of wine, lead paint on the crib, no seat belts or bike helmets and the list goes on of bad things that should and may have killed me or given me permanent brain damage.

I think I am near perfect as one can get.
If you do not believe me just ask "ME".

"NOT" wife #1 of 48 years.

Last edited:
Whatever. I've had this stuff down in my coop over 7yrs, and none of my birds have suffered any ill effects. I still have one of my original hens, and she still puttering around. And even gives me an egg ever now and again. Funny how they steer you towards the most expensive crap they have. That's why I bought it to begin with, it's cheap.

They probably have to ingest gallons of it, to have any ill effects on them. I've only had mine down for 10 weeks and I would use it again if needed and recommend it. When you apply it, the odor is way less than when applying paint. I can't imagine walking on a hard cured surface of black jack is going to have an effect on them either. When they scratch on the coop floor through the bedding, there are no visible marks. I know JackE has scraped his coop out and said there is no damage to his surface in 7 years. To each their own but there are a lot of people who use it and don't have problems.

I started this thread to share some information for those who had "natural" inclinations. While I was disappointed in the "fake news" feedback, I do understand its roots. Here is the transcript of a conversation I had on the topic. Maybe there is some information contained therein which may help someone.

Ames: [10:11:01 AM] Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

BeechBum: [10:11:01 AM] is there a product that you would recommend for the floor of a chicken coop?

Ames: [10:12:08 AM] Well, we are a manuf of waterproofing material. Floors.. are you looking to waterproof it or do you want a Floor and Porch type paint?

BeechBum: [10:13:35 AM] poop proof so I guess that means I am looking for water proof. Just want to be able to wash off the floor without it absorbing.

Ames: [10:16:57 AM] We do have a product Safe-T-Deck, smooth, for Interior use. The granulated is for exterior. Both are a preservation for wood or concrete. Im assuming yours in plywood. Otherwise our liquid rubber type are a little tacky when dry so better for walls and when applied to floors you would need to apply a Floor & Porch type latex paint over it. I do not know if this is what you're looking for.

[10:18:10 AM] If it’s just to have ease of washing off, You have many choices to choose from with any floor paint, sold in a variety of Hardware stores.

[10:18:54 AM] I’m not trying to talk you out of our product; I just think you might be looking for a less expensive product that would work just as well.

BeechBum: [10:20:16 AM] I appreciate the feedback. As for the Safe-T-Deck, I presume it is a bit sturdier than a latex paint.

Ames: [10:22:19 AM] Yes. But with a strong background in paint, you would need specialty floor paint for what you need. Any basic wall latex paint will deteriorate and be walked off. I can suggest products if you need to

BeechBum: [10:24:53 AM] sure

Ames: [10:27:51 AM] Go to any hardware store. Home Depot etc. Because of the high "acid" from chickens, I suggest looking at allkyd paint. Something that is durable.

BeechBum: [10:31:08 AM] Thanks, just to be clear, what would be the primary concerns in using elastomeric?

Ames: [10:32:25 AM] Well, It would be a two coat process for you. An expense not probably want you would want for a chicken coop, but elastomerick will expand and contract with the temperatures so roofs, roof decks, etc., last longer.

[10:33:33 AM] Our products are water-based so they are environmentally friendly. Homeowners can apply it easily and have results that last a long time.

BeechBum: [10:33:35 AM] two coats - as in primer and final?

Ames: [10:35:33 AM] The elastomeric products need to be top coated if; 1. on the floor, 2. or exposed to UV rays. If on concrete, you always need a primer- with most products. Our Blue Max is an exception because it is highly adhesive.

BeechBum: [10:37:26 AM] FYI The reason for the question is, some folks are using BlackJack sealer which is for drives and such. Probably not the best choice.

Ames: [10:37:49 AM] Oh gosh no, I would think not for livestock.

[10:40:11 AM] These are asphalt type or silicone type coatings. Silicone can not be used ever in conjunction with our products and most of any others as well. You have to remove it because they don't stick to it. or itself for that matter. Asphalt doesn't last as long it starts to crack and needs repair after 10 years.

CONCLUSION! ... I started this conversation from a technical perspective. I did end up, like many others here, using the Blackjack 57 and admit that it is the way to go. As others have said, there is no asphalt type odor, covers well with a rubbery film. If I could change the title of the post, I would. Many thanks to those of dissenting opinion.

CONCLUSION! ... I started this conversation from a technical perspective. I did end up, like many others here, using the Blackjack 57 and admit that it is the way to go. As others have said, there is no asphalt type odor, covers well with a rubbery film. If I could change the title of the post, I would. Many thanks to those of dissenting opinion.
Good for you!
Kudos for admitting you were mistaken and following up hare to report it.

You can go to the first post in the thread, hit 'report' in the lower left corner of the post, and ask a mod to change the title.

Ya I used blackjack 57 and have had no issues. That is my real world experience. Other may differ but I'll use for post set in the ground and the floor in my next 4 coops I build.
Scott

Back
Top Bottom