Blasted foggy glass!

ChelC

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
I'm on day 22 and finally I have a chick starting to zip and the glass is all fogged and I can't see! I know it's normal I just need something to distract me before I lose my mind.

How do you distract yourself from the hatch?

It wasn't foggy until the one started zipping, so I think it's just the humidity from that.

If you haven't I would pull the vent plugs. Do you have a humidity gauge in there? The humidity will spike when they start hatching but that doesn't mean it can't spike too much and drown the ones that aren't as far along. I ended up adding holes to my hova to vent more humidity when I had over 100 quail hatching at once.

I don't, mine is a home made bator. I will ventilate it a little and see if it clears. Thanks!

My hova and lg don't start to fog until 70-75% which is borderline. The windows don't completely fog until 80% which results in definite losses in my bators. It does depend on your bator and even your climate but if the windows are completely fogged it should be at least in the 70s. It would be a good idea to get a humidity gauge so you know for sure next time.

Update - Well, have two new chicks, two pipping now and two doing nothing. We are on day 23, so I'm going a little nutty. My husband and I are staying out of town tonight for one night only. I guess at some point before then I'm going to need to remove my new chicks to a brooder (they hatched yesterday evening). I'm hoping the other pips hatch before then so I don't have to disturb them.

The fog is mostly gone now, but I do have condensation and my viewing window isn't very big, but I'll try to get some pics of the new babies to post. We are so excited.

We hatched from our own eggs, so one is a silver laced cochin/ameracauna mix and the other is a buff orpington/ameracauna mix. The cochin doesn't seem to have ameracauna features yet, just looks like her mother did when we got her. The orpington mix has a strange look because she's yellow, but with the ameracauna baby "stripes". One of the pips is a straight ameraucana, and I think the other pip is another cochin mix. We only have one roo, so thankfully we know that part!

I have another one zipping! And on second look, my cochin mix now that it's fluffy is brown, not black and looking very much like his dad after all, but with furry feet. It will be interesting to see what it turns out like.

Back
Top Bottom