bleach in mud puddles?

Quote:
It take a LOT longer than 1/2 an hour for clorine to dissappate from a cup of water. How much longer depends on the concentration the city puts in their water supply. How much depends on time of year, water temperature, any known contaminates that are in the water, and where the water comes from (ground water or surface water) I'm not saying your water engineer friend is all wet, just that they didn't give you the whole story.

OP--As far as bleaching puddles, it would kill the bugs in the standing water and some of those in the surface mud, however the germs would continue to multiply and regain ground...given the "survival of the fitest" in nature, you probably don't want your chickens ingesting what survives the bleaching. I think the suggestion of someone to give your chickens probiotics to counteract the germs they ingest from the puddles is your best bet. Not to meantion a lot less of a headache (estimateing puddle volume, measuring and pouring bleach, etc.)

Shocking wells or adding bleach on a regular basis is done in NY...but only in shallow wells. (at least regularly..How would you add bleach to a 300 foot drilled well anyway?) Shallow wells contain a lot of ground water, therefore a higher risk of contamination. People around here do it instead of testing. They just find it easier to be "Safe, instead of sorry", since many times the first sign of a contaminated well is a house full of sick people and not enough toilet paper.

Shocking wells or adding bleach on a regular basis is done in NY...but only in shallow wells. (at least regularly..How would you add bleach to a 300 foot drilled well anyway?) Shallow wells contain a lot of ground water, therefore a higher risk of contamination. People around here do it instead of testing. They just find it easier to be "Safe, instead of sorry", since many times the first sign of a contaminated well is a house full of sick people and not enough toilet paper.

My well is 287 ft deep.............just pour the bleach down the well casing...run water thru all fixture untill you smell the bleach, then let it set , then flush all fixtures till no more smell of bleach. This also helps kill all the germs in the piping and fixtures.

Warning don't forget the washer, needs flush too, or at least don't do like me making the first load all black...........that was bad..

ITS NOT THAT A HARD OF THING TO DO........COST VERY LITTLE........MAKES YOUR WATER SAFER.......CHEAPING THAN EVEN HAVING YOUR WATER TESTED.

Quote:
, j

I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but thank you for the info on how to deal with a drilled well.

We have sulfer water here so we invested in a "water system" (read " REALLY EXPENSIVE") so adding bleach is done by "the system"...we just have to check it monthly to make sure it is adding the right amount because it does vary with the water temperature.

Thank you again for info....now back to the OP's orginal question.

Untill a few years ago we had a fairly large flock of sheep. When it rained hard water would run through the sheep barnyard resulting in a brown liquid that may have contained more than water. The chickens that free ranged regularly drank this brown "water" as opposed to the clean water that was available to them. No illnesses resulted in the chickens or in us [end users of the chickens &/or eggs]. I doubt there's anything to worry about in your mud puddles.

Just stumbled across this thread...lol I never heard of anyone wating to bleach a puddle...sorry OP I had to chuckle a bit but once I thought about it, you bring a good point about bacteria. I know this thread is years old, but I just have to say I have a chicken that chooses to drink puddle water over the frash stuff I pour in her bowl. She will stand defiantly next to me and drink out of the duck pool drainage instead of her fresh water dish. In my experience, chickens are pretty good judges of what is good and bad for them and what doesn't make 'em sick makes 'em stronger right? Also, the best water pest controllers you can't buy in bottled form, you have to call up your nearest water fowl hatchery and get yourself some fluffy little flat-billed cuties!

we bought our place 13 years ago.. it was empty for 15 years so we shocked the hand dug well then and never since... still alive :)

This is really funny to me.

There are more bacteria in our gut than there are human cells in our entire body.

Back
Top Bottom