Bleeding chicken!

Ali Gator

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
I hatched out an Easter Egger and it is nine weeks old. She keeps getting poop stuck to her butt and we noticed a reddish thing sticking out of her bottom. There is blood all over the roosting rod in the coop and I think it is coming from her. Is there anything I can do?

The chick has gotten really bad pasty butt twice, the second time is when we noticed the thing sticking out.I don't think I could get pictures because she is to fast.

Last edited:
Did you research vent prolapse? Check out this link for more information. I have several birds suffering from what I believe is a prolapse right now so if/when they heal up, I'll let you know what worked. For now, I think just time. I would strongly recommend isolating your hen from the flock though, as the others will start to peck at her exposed flesh which can eventually kill the bird.

We gave her yogurt she is much better. I think she had vent gleet as well.
I would check out the link for vent prolapse that chelsea12 gave in post #3. Nine week old chicks don't generally get vent gleet. Prolapse is fairly common, and the prolapse can come and go, but other chicks will attack a chicken with prolapse, and peck them to death. If the prolapse is there and stuck, it is important to push it back in with a lubricant, and honey or sugar can help to shrink it. Constipation can cause this, and probiotics or a product called Probios used a couple of times in the week in their water might help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom