bleeding waddles

sema43

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Going into the shed before nightfall to close them in, I noticed blood everywhere. I noticed one of my roosters was bleeding badly on his waddle, with a hen constantly pecking at it. He made no motion to stop her. I took him in and tried to stop the bleeding. It looked like a piece of tissue was severed. There was a lot of bright red blood. Since he wasn't fighting me when I tried to stop the bleeding I thought he was in shock. After a few minutes, I decided to get a piece of ice to contract the blood vessels. After another few minutes, the blood looked like it was stopping. I managed to stop the bleeding and then put him in a dog crate. I left fresh food and water and he managed to stand and drink and eat. I was so scared he was going to die. I plan on keeping him in for a few days for him to heal. Stress.

You said one of your roosters, do you have more than one rooster in that pen? It is possible that he could of been fighting. The hen pecking at the rooster's waddles was probably trying to clean the rooster up. If the rooster was not letting her clean his waddles and was hiding from her I would say he got in a fight with her. Some roosters will get into fights with their hens. Earlier this year I had a hen cut up a waddle on my Siklie X. I've also had other hens get into fights with roosters for no reason. It would be like watching two roosters fight, but one is a hen. Sometimes a hen just won't get along with a rooster. Also the rooster might of caught his waddles on some fencing. Also one of your hens may be trying to eat his waddles.

Back
Top Bottom