Bless Their Heart... And Other Southern Sayings

When i moved to Tennessee at age 17 to go to college it seemed I had to learn a whole new language. Poke for sack, Carry for take, Sooner for dog, Larapin for delicious, Coke for any soft drink,You needed to do the worsh and get it hung in case there were thunder shars. The leasten was the youngest child. Dinner on the ground was a pot luck at the church and a buck toothed child could eat punkins through a barbwar fence. Just to name a few. My roommate from Kentucky said dorter for daughter. What don't come out in the worsh will come out in the dryer. You'll get glad in the same pants you got mad in.

OK- I am kinda Southern, kinda Mid-west, kinda country and boy I guess that I have some weird sayings.

My favorite is "God love him" which means about the same as bless their heart.

Then there is the "come to Jesus talk" that means that you are in a HEAP of trouble and someone is going to set you straight. As in- I am going to have to have a come to Jesus talk with that girl if she doesn't stop leaving dirty dishes everywhere.

And my personal favorite, probably because I heard it so very much as a child was "I am going to knock you into next week, if you don't straighten up."

Until I went to college, I had no idea that these were strange sayings. My Jewish pals thought that the come to Jesus one was hilarious and my liberal friends were horrified by the "knock you into next week" one.

Oh well, you can never make everyone happy.

Quote:
Thanks.
big_smile.png

my momma used to pronounce Elvis like Alvis and I was like HUH until she was like ya know the guy that swung his hips all over the place and made the ladies swoon( I reminded her I was not around when he was alive and kick'n or maybe he was just a swing'n
wink.png

Last edited:
Im from MO too, and my dad used to date a little old lady from MS. I loved it when she came to visit! One of my favorites was:

"how-yall-doin-yall-doin-good?"

If you don't stop that, I'm gonna rip off yer head and spit down yer neck!

Well, if that don't beat hens a-wrasslin'!

I'll belcha (I'll belt ya -- I'll slap you)

Ugly as a mud fence

Steal ma shoes an' call me barefoot!

If ya put his brains in a mustard seed, they'd rattle like a peanut in a boxcar.

"right" As in "that's a right pretty dress ya got on, Miz Agnes."

When you've recently mastered a skill: I usta could never -----

If ya ain't got it in yer head, you should have it in yer feet. (If you're not smart, you should at least be quick)

Me, reading this thread: Hahaha, that's so -- wait, doesn't everybody say that?

The communication thing reminds me of a girlfriend's visit to the doctor (only he was Indian). He had the stethoscope, and he told her to "cup your breasts." She thought it was very strange, but she did it. After a few more repeats, she understood that he wanted her to take a couple breaths. She like ta crawled in a hole an' pulled it in after her!

Quote:
Here folks do that and we are a fairly large town (not a metropolis, but no Mayberry either) ... pull over and the older men get out and put their hats / hands over their hearts. The law enforcement personnel salute at the entrance to the cemetary. Truck drivers (18 wheelers) will stop in the middle of the road, straddling the lines so there is no getting by to get "ahead" of folks.

cute as a speckled pup under a red wagon
full as a tick on a hound
crazy as a sprayed roach
ain't got no

Even though I left the south many years ago and finally stopped saying "y'all", I still say "If it was a snake it would've bit ya" when someone can't find something that is right in front of their face.

Back
Top Bottom