Bless Their Heart... And Other Southern Sayings

Quote:
I love the South. After 20 years I'd never go back to NY. They'd make fun of me saying 'y'all' anyhow.
roll.png

I think the South has some wonderful, colorful sayings. Sure, the weather is hotter'n all heck but the pace is relaxed and it seems like the important things in life matter more - family, friends, a good time, being outdoors, food.....I do appreciate the sense of humor Southerners have. Well, I suppose I'm sorta one now.

I know another thing that confused me as a new transplant years ago. Driving down the country road or in town, everyone waves at you. I'd drive to the Piggly Wiggly and every truck or car I'd pass - someone waves. I wave back...who was that? Do I know them? SHOULD I know them??? I pass a lady checking her mail, a man moving...all wave. It took awhile for my hand muscles to get used to all this new waving.
lol.png

My son went to Tennessee to stay with my brother for a week... while he was down there my brother would take him to the local diner for breakfast... (that is where he got his first buscuit and gravy)...anywho... my brother would wave at every car or truck... my son said to him, "boy you know a lot of people"... my brother laughed and said,,, 'next truck or car, just fly up your arm.... he did and the person waved... my son got a big crack out of that....
My brother has 100 beautiful acres and the children learn very early how to drive a four wheeler or truck... so my son was four wheeling with his cousins.. and looked back and hit a tree..!! My brother got scared.. called me and said... he won't do that again...
lau.gif

My brother lived up here for the longest time until they moved down there.. He just loves it, They call him yankee... he looks like santa claus now... I can actually go to his home... and truely relax.. on his big porch with the two fans sitting on his wooden porch swing... sipping my ice tea.. looking at the senery...(sounds so nice , doesn't it)
love.gif

Quote:
my husband is in construction... and a company from Texas came up here to do some specialized work... well the man from Texas kept calling my husband "Sir"... my husband kept telling him.. I am not your Sir... quit calling me that...

I told my husband that is just how they are taught.. it would be disrespectful not to call you "Sir" so stop busting his chops over it... He did.. but still thinks it is funny...when we went down south the first time after we were married.. we were at a funeral... All these young people ( my cousins) would come up to my husband and shake his hand and start talking to him...???? He pulled me aside and said, "I don't know any of these kids coming up to me and shaking my hand and calling my sir... what's up with that"... I told him then that is how they are brought up.. its respect... He was overwhelmed.. and how polite and well mannered the kids were...Goes to show you??? We missing something????
old.gif

It does sound nice.
smile.png

Gotta love those local diners! We have one up at the crossroads. Really just a cinderblock structure but the lot is full of trucks and county vehicles every morning.
You know you're a local when you have your own booth and the waitress doesn't need to ask what you're having - she just tells you to confirm! The usual?

Oh! Another good one from Papaw:

Upon driving up a particularly curvy mountain road---I believe whoever laid this road musta been following drunk porcupines in the dark!
lol.png

WAVING:

Out in the country, everyone waves at everyone else. If you don't know them, you SHOULD. Want to look inconspicious while driving through a strange part of the coutnry? Wave at every car you pass.

We moved to the wilds of Surprising Suffolk last year. On the US Highways, there isn't a lot of waving. We're driving too fast. But on all the "side" streets, everybody waves. These side streets I speak of run between all the farms and "farmettes". The real farmers know to wave. The yuppies sometimes remember to wave.

Excuse me, I need to go skin my children now. (Anybody use that phrase?) Bless their hearts.
roll.png

We don't live in the South, but I spent some time in Texas.... learned a LOT of new words...hahaha. Battreh, Arn, Far.... (battery, iron, fire).
Just a few examples. My favorite was my MIL was standing at the car telling us goodbye and she said.... OOOOOOOOOOOOOo it's a BO-WOG! I freaked as I had no idea what a bowog was or how big it was or anything.... my husband explained it was simply a BUG (she just tended to make one syllable words into two syllable words). Phew! What a relief!

Now we live in the country in NW Ohio... and everyone here waves. You can always tell when someone isn't from around here as they zoom right past oblivious to the country type courtesies we all take for granted. I especially like knowing who drives what car, where they work, who they are married to, how many kids they have, where they go (and IF they go) to church.... small towns are great that way. It is easier to raise kids too, because if your kid is being a brat, you hear about it before they get home. People aren't afraid to call and tell the parents... "Hey, I saw Johnny/Suzy driving with lots of kids in the car & playing loud music".... or whatever.

Those who live in the hustle bustle cities are missing out... and those who haven't ever spent any time in the South are also missing a great experience.

yippiechickie.gif

Yep out where I live in the country, any where you ride and thier are folks on their porch, mowing, or whatever outside, they wave and/or I wave back. Just the way it is out here. It used to be like that all over out here even in town, but not anymore its slowly going to the devil and everyone is acting more self absorbed and I'm only 22! I miss it.
sad.png
I feel so out of place being such a COUNTRY girl in a semi small area, but all the ones my age could care less about animals and working hard, and being courteous...

I was raised to be respectful, I say "ma'am" and "sir" to anyone who appears 40+, and I say "yes hun, thanks sweetie, or hey darlin'" to anyone who appears under 40 - I just feel that too many folks that are in the 20-30 department don't like being called ma'am and sir (I dont except by ones my DD's age) so I found early on something that I'm comfortable with saying (as I can't say yeah - I was raised to get popped in the back of the head if I said yeah by my grandfolks and mama)

I love old fashioned southern folk, most are hard working, easy going, slow talking they don't rush unnecissarily. I notice many northerners that come down here talk extremely fast and are always RUSH RUSH RUSH on EVERYTHING. If thats how everyone up north is, I don't never want to visit
wink.png
also my Ex's family (DD's father) is from New York, and they tell me about the different foods and what not.... No sweet tea!? Even in places in Virginia if you just say TEA they give you unsweet tea, so you have to say SWEET Tea...Here you just say Tea and you get sweet tea, or you tell 'em specifically "Unsweetened tea please".

My DD has it drilled in her head already that she says : "yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir, no sir, please, thank you, and your welcome." God forbid when I volunteer and help in her preschool (this year kindergarten soon!) classes - all the kids when they TELL me something and not ASK, or go "YEAH" instead of "YES or YES MA'AM" - hah - they learned real quick that that doesn't fly with Miss Jessy. no sir ree bob. "Excuse me Janiyah? Steven, lets try that again shall we?"

ETA: Zippity! OMG yes if I got in trouble here in town in Roxboro - my mom knew before I got home or atleast before I got a chance to think of a way to broach the subject...lmao. If I went to get into trouble we went 30 miles north to Durham to do something we didn't want to get back to our folks - lol.

Last edited:
I do have to say that we bought a place up near Gladwin. It is kind of remote area... We are new to this Cottage on the water thing... and where we bought is a dead end street and most of the people there live there all year long... Everyone waves... just like in the south.. so maybe ... it isn't just a southern thing but where it isn't so crowded... Here near the city... people just don't have the time... they get involved with work, kids school activities, etc... that they run themselves ragged...but I do say.. I miss the south..

Go into a store.. and they actually will wait until you get the change out of your purse!! NOT here!!!

Back
Top Bottom