Blind in one eye. Deformed beak.

Mariakoltsa

Songster
Feb 5, 2019
Australia, QLD
775FD2F9-15BB-40D0-98F1-FEB756E5EFDE.jpeg
2BE21788-F33F-4A03-85FF-6DC304AAF938.jpeg
hi!

I couldnt help myself today, saw some chickens at a stockfeeds place and they were all so cute had to get two. I insisted is sit in there and pick them.
Im glad i did. I saw one getting picked on and then she turned her head and her one eye looked horrible. They said “nah shell die soon pick them other ones”

Well then ofc i had to get her.

Please does anyone have experience with such problems. Her eye i think had been pecked. Should i do something or get somethingn for it?? Its watery and eyelid wont close all way because of a little bump thats on the eye.
Will that be a problem in the future, will it get infected etc ?

Also her beak is deformed so it goes to the side and the tip of the beak is on its side and where the tip should be there is over growth.. im bad at explaining. Added pictures.. could i do something there ? Vould that over grown bit be cut down or will it hurt the chook and is it possible it will straighten with time.

Please thank you!!!!

Yes i know the photos arent that good. Ive dropped my phone and the glass is cracked on the lens
D99F75EF-D034-4552-A965-7FE6DF00AF90.jpeg
46A5D6DD-7499-43CA-8BCA-BA93AF4A512E.jpeg
F28B021A-9BCB-48F7-B633-A7AB1CFD3FCB.jpeg
EEE91AA0-33F8-4DAF-9887-1B313A61FE4C.jpeg
5D854139-0637-40EC-B87F-6659884D2C70.jpeg
BE99A5CF-FADA-4E72-99A4-7876AACE2A21.jpeg
DC63EC81-CB3E-4CFA-AF82-462B8E3B4780.jpeg

for her mouth look up cross beak or scissor beak, there's an article floating around some where about how to set up feed and water for chickens with it (I'll check to see if I have it saved some where but I don't think I do). I don't know about the eye.

She can probably make do with just one eye, as long as the damaged one isn't painful it shouldn't be a huge issue. I've not dealt with a damaged eye before but I've seen one-eyed chickens and they seem to get by.

She has a mild crossbeak and you can use a non-metal nail file to file the edges/tips both top and bottom to even it up closer to normal to make it easier for her to eat and drink. There is something similar to a quick in there, like in a dog or cat's nail, so you don't want to take off too much, but since she has a light beak you can probably see it easily through the beak with some strong light to be able to avoid it. She'll find it easier to eat wet or fermented feed in a deeper container but honestly it's so mild that that might not be necessary as it would be in a worse case.

She can probably make do with just one eye, as long as the damaged one isn't painful it shouldn't be a huge issue. I've not dealt with a damaged eye before but I've seen one-eyed chickens and they seem to get by.

She has a mild crossbeak and you can use a non-metal nail file to file the edges/tips both top and bottom to even it up closer to normal to make it easier for her to eat and drink. There is something similar to a quick in there, like in a dog or cat's nail, so you don't want to take off too much, but since she has a light beak you can probably see it easily through the beak with some strong light to be able to avoid it. She'll find it easier to eat wet or fermented feed in a deeper container but honestly it's so mild that that might not be necessary as it would be in a worse case.
Thank u so much for taking your time to anwser aswell!! Yeah just looked at pictures of how bad it can be, its so sad and i feel lucky for this one! I dont even want to know how many chookies have been put down for having a bad one, so sad.

Obtain and apply some ophthalmic ointment to the bad eye. This may be something that will have to continue for the rest of her life as will the need to trim her beak. One eyed birds are at a disadvantage in a large flock and tend to be picked on. It may be necessary to keep her with one or two mellow flock mates. Good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom