abroot

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
This is my first time hatching and raising quail. All of my chicks except 1, which was born blind (without eyes). I didn't want to cull it yet since I thought it would maybe be able to see or learn to adapt in the future but so far it's been 1 week in and I still hand feed the chick as it never learned to eat or drink on its own. what I also discovered is that the other chicks are now triple the size of the blind quail (they all have feathers now and the blind one is still fluffy), and I'm assuming that it's not eating as much as they are b/c I can't feed it as frequently? Either way, I would like to know whether culling would be the humane thing to do as it seems the quality of the chicks life is in decline or whether this growth defect is being caused by separate factors.

This is my first time hatching and raising quail. All of my chicks except 1, which was born blind (without eyes). I didn't want to cull it yet since I thought it would maybe be able to see or learn to adapt in the future but so far it's been 1 week in and I still hand feed the chick as it never learned to eat or drink on its own. what I also discovered is that the other chicks are now triple the size of the blind quail (they all have feathers now and the blind one is still fluffy), and I'm assuming that it's not eating as much as they are b/c I can't feed it as frequently? Either way, I would like to know whether culling would be the humane thing to do as it seems the quality of the chicks life is in decline or whether this growth defect is being caused by separate factors.
UPDATE: The chick died the night before I was going to cull :(

Back
Top Bottom