Blocked stomach? Eggbound?

seann

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
I have a 2.5 yr old hen who walks funny (squatting all the time). Dirty butt feathers (dried poop), no blood and still drinking and eating ok. Mostly stay in nest while others go around. Pale comb and wattle.
I don't see her trying to poop out an egg though. Empty crop (sadly) but stomach is really solid (does not look good). Other hens I have have filled crop and stomach is soft.

Yesterday I soaked her in warm water for 15 minutes. Cleaned the butt feathers. Noticed tons of tiny crawling bugs (are they feather lice, or maybe mite?)
Felt inside her vent with olive oil and one finger (+gloves) but couldn't tell if there's any egg. Feels no egg but what do I know.

What's wrong with this hen?
What about those tiny bugs?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a 2.5 yr old hen who walks funny (squatting all the time). Dirty butt feathers (dried poop), no blood and still drinking and eating ok. Mostly stay in nest while others go around. Pale comb and wattle.
I don't see her trying to poop out an egg though. Empty crop (sadly) but stomach is really solid (does not look good). Other hens I have have filled crop and stomach is soft.

Yesterday I soaked her in warm water for 15 minutes. Cleaned the butt feathers. Noticed tons of tiny crawling bugs (are they feather lice, or maybe mite?)
Felt inside her vent with olive oil and one finger (+gloves) but couldn't tell if there's any egg. Feels no egg but what do I know.

What's wrong with this hen?
What about those tiny bugs?

Thanks.
Hens won't feel good when they have bugs on them dust her with DE, and make sure that she starts eating give her some boiled egg and apple cider vinegar in her water. there could be other issues but check out the bugs first.

Back
Top Bottom