Blood ring but the embryo is still alive?

yuaan

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
Hi Folks,
I have 2 eggs with very strong blood ring but the embryos are still moving. Does it mean that they will die soon. The blood ring has been there for past 3 days but the embryos are still alive

I have had one with a blood ring live. I didn't have the heart to take it out of the incubator when I seen it dancing in the egg and thank God I didn't. It did end up with deformed feet but nothing it can't live with. Shes one of my white silkies and a sweet heart. So yes it can make it "Hope" is my proof that it can.

Hi Folks,
I have 2 eggs with very strong blood ring but the embryos are still moving. Does it mean that they will die soon. The blood ring has been there for past 3 days but the embryos are still alive
It would be easier to give advice if you had pics so that we can see what you are refering to as blood ring. Are you turning the eggs by hand?

Ther is a slight little movement . I thik it looks like that the chick is due to die.
I have been incubating eggs for years using incubatore auto and manual beinse but never jad good luck with shipped eggs .

It does look like a blood ring, but I've never seen one occur prior to embryo death. I've been hatching for just a year, but I have not ventured into trying shipped eggs. I have excellent hatches with local eggs/my own, and I'm not in a hurry to kill my rate or loose my money on shipped just yet. But I would think that's a goner, I couldn't toss w/the embryo still moving. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

At day 6 of incubation, I have noticed a blood ring that is only clear on one side of the egg, but the other side has well-developed veins and a healthy, moving embryo. What does this

mean? Like the most recent post in this thread, this egg is also a silkie. What causes this, and should I assume that this embryo will have deformities when it hatches?

At day 6 of incubation, I have noticed a blood ring that is only clear on one side of the egg, but the other side has well-developed veins and a healthy, moving embryo. What does this

mean? Like the most recent post in this thread, this egg is also a silkie. What causes this, and should I assume that this embryo will have deformities when it hatches?
Are you hand turning the eggs?

If you are hand turning, it's perfectly natural. Whichever side is laying up, is the side that you will see the growth/developing chick on and it will look like a circle around that and the backside that was facing down will almost look clear or like "running' veins. My first couple hatches I used my automatic turner, then I switched to hand turning. The first time I candled and saw this I almost freaked out until I figured out why this was. When you turn the eggs the growth/development will "resurface" again on the side that is pointed up. It is a great visual as to why we turn during incubation. Imagine if you did not turn, that development would be laying against the same spot day after day sticking there.

Edited to add that you don't see this with the manual turners because they are constantly going from side to side and not given time to settle in any one position.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom