GordSord

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2022
Cracked some eggs into a pan today, and one of them had blood all through egg white. Looking closer, there was a thick "blood cord" attached to the yolk. It couldn't have been a fertilized egg. We lost our rooster about 2 months ago. And they're in an enclosed run. This egg had been in the fridge, and was probably laid about 2 weeks ago.

I've only had chickens a little over a year and this is my first egg like this. Anyone know what causes this, or if I should be worried?

Attachments

• IMG_20220525_123320.jpg
    IMG_20220525_123320.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 24
It happens sometimes.

It is safe to eat (but may not be appetizing.) You could bake it into brownies, where the color will never be seen. Or you could cook it and feed to the chickens.

Your hen is probably fine.

Eggs from a grocery store are quite consistent, but that is partly because the weird ones are sold somewhere else (like to a bakery). Here is an article that lists many of the things that can be different about eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
If you only have a few chickens, you will probably never see most of the things in that article, but it's a good place to check the unusual ones you do get.

Back
Top Bottom