Bloody hen, please offer some advise

goldie1234

Chirping
Jul 15, 2015
I recently introduced a 6 month old rooster to my flock of 14 hens/pullets ranging from 6-10 months. They are all laying except a couple of the younger pullets. My 10 month old barred rock now looks like a naked neck. I guess she is being over mated. Today I noticed a bloody egg. It looked like drips of blood. I separated the roo although he is just on the other side of the run.
Another 10 month old had blood from the back of her head running down the side of her neck. I'm assuming the blood on the egg came off her. My hens have never fought. I'm assuming this is from the rooster being too aggressive mating?
Is this a correct assumption? What should I do?

It could well be a correct assumption - adolescent males sometimes lack the panache of older roos (bit like humans?
smile.png
) and can be rough. I'd treat the injury with warm saline solution or iodine and isolate her until there are no signs of blood. Blood send chickens into a pecking frenzy.

I'd separate the cockerel for a while or at least limit his time with the girls. First thing on a morning seems to be "prime time" for mating, so at least keep them separated during the morning hours. To be honest, a few weeks away from the girls will let them recover from their feather loss / injuries, so that may be better.

All the best
CT

I think I would be assuming that too. He could really do some damage. I think I'd give him only supervised visitation and be watching its not just attacking for the sake of dominance rather than over zealous mating. If it's the first I'd trade him in, if it's the second I'd possibly give him a chance to mature and settle down but all the while watching he isn't going to kill or seriously hurt a hen.

This was great advise! I separated him for a week and then allowed supervised afternoon free ranging. I shooed him away from the hens for a while. Once he could handle it I moved into unsupervised free range, then to opening him up in the coop.
Now, he is with the girls full time and acting right! No more problems. I never see him try to mate and all the girls have neck feathers! I have some one hatching 24 eggs and 22 are progressing after one week!

Back
Top Bottom