Bloody poop from new chickens

lunahills

Chirping
May 20, 2021
Shenandoah Valley, VA
We just brought home 3 new chickens on May 22 to join our one lonely hen. I’ve since noticed runny poop and now bloody poop. I have an idea which it may be coming from (one of the 8 week olds), and based on what I’ve read it is probably coccidiosis or worms. Should I treat all the hens with Corid? Or should I get a check for worms? Also, is it unsafe to eat or use the eggs from the layers, in case they have it too?

Okay, that makes it a little easier. Can you catch each one and do a basic exam? Check for lice, check body condition (too fat, too thin), and if possible, weigh each one.

Okay, that makes it a little easier. Can you catch each one and do a basic exam? Check for lice, check body condition (too fat, too thin), and if possible, weigh each one.
The older girls are easy to catch and I have examined them for bugs. I didn’t see anything, but as I’m not an expert I guess I could be missing any tiny bugs. I don’t believe any of them are overweight, but again, it’s hard for me to really know. Is there a standard weight most breeds should weigh?

Back
Top Bottom